Myrtonos

General guide to learning Latin based languages

Myrtonos

I know one masculine noun in Romanian that does end in -ie, tataie, but that means grandfather or old man, thus refering to a male being, this is a gender-specific noun, and most such nouns take their natural gender, the endings tell you the gender of nouns that do not specify natural gender

And apparently, the difference between masculine and neuter is only in the plural. And what about nouns ending in -iune?

Nesf
23 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

I know one masculine noun in Romanian that does end in -ie, tataie, but that means grandfather or old man,

Yes, I think that this is the vocative form of tată, meaning father. I don't think that it is much in use, I have never heard it.

And apparently, the difference between masculine and neuter is only in the plural.

Yes, this is true. One can 'test' their gender(masculine or neuter) by saying two of the noun - the preceding number two, doi, must agree with the gender of the noun. if it is neuter, then the correct form is 'două' If it is masculine, the correct form is 'doi'.

And what about nouns ending in -iune

Nouns ending in -iune are always feminine, and -iuni in the plural.

Myrtonos
24 minutes ago, Nesf said:

Yes, this is true. One can 'test' their gender(masculine or neuter) by saying two of the noun - the preceding number two, doi, must agree with the gender of the noun. if it is neuter, then the correct form is 'două' If it is masculine, the correct form is 'doi'.

Okay, so the correct form is 'doi' for masculine nouns and 'două' for all other nouns. Of course, this only works for count nouns. What about mass nouns?

Nesf

It wouldn't make much sense for you to put a number in front of mass nouns as they are uncountable nouns.

Myrtonos

But my question actually was about the gender of mass nouns?

Nesf
22 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

But my question actually was about the gender of mass nouns?

It wasn't clear what the question referred to. mass nouns, or uncountable  nouns can be any gender.

Myrtonos

Neuter count nouns behave like masculine nouns in the singular and feminine in the plural, which raises the question about neuter mass nouns.

Nesf
1 hour ago, Myrtonos said:

which raises the question about neuter mass nouns.

What exactly is the question?

Myrtonos

This raises the question of what gender mass nouns can be and if they can be neuter, how would neuter mass nouns differ from common (non-neuter) ones?

Nesf
5 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

This raises the question of what gender mass nouns can be

They can be any gender.

6 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

how would neuter mass nouns differ from common (non-neuter) ones?

They don't differ in any way other than that they are neuter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.