Myrtonos

Explaining Grammatical terms: verb

Myrtonos

Here is a list of words that tend to go directly in front of verbs: I, he/she, we, they. With these words in front of them, each verb can mean a whole sentence, except for modals. 'To' is another word that often goes in front of verbs: to have, to be, to come, to do, to go, etc. The only verbs that cannot have 'to' in front of them are modals, these are: can, will, may, shall, must. The form of the verb with 'to' in front of it is almost always one of the forms that can go directly in front of 'I', 'we' or 'they', 'I come', 'we go', 'they do', etc. These verbs are also the ones take an -s for he, she and it. 'He goes', 'she comes', 'it does', etc.

Verbs that can have 'to' in front of them can also taking an -ing and that from can have 'am', 'are', 'is', 'were' or 'was' in front of them. As in 'I am writing', 'you are reading', 'he/she/it is watching', etc.

Myrtonos

Another difference between verbs and other words that can also have 'to' in front of them is that those other words can also have 'for' or 'towards' in front of them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.