RiRi

Dyscalculia Online Test

Dr-David-Banner

"No one should ever ask for your password, they should have an admin logon they can use to test it. Are you suggesting you were able to access your site files without a username/password?"
I gave the data to the programmer without being asked. I wanted a fast solution. I'm a realist. I don't own my site. It is a free website builder a bit like Yukoz but it works and maybe mine is the only site that's found on Google. That was a bit cheeky really when most people pay large sums to keep a site going. Would the site programmer really want to alter my site? I very much doubt it - it's just a radio site. If I was worried I could reset a new password, of course. In all honesty I got a very good deal and never upgraded to a paid site. And with Wix for example although you get a free site,, the domain name is more expensive than the average site. Also Yukoz I found too complex to handle. In short you can build a website for free and Wix isn't the only option. The fact my site pops up on Google searches almost after a dot com original is kind of taking the piss but I guess I got street wise to save my cash.

Dr-David-Banner

To answer the other question, yes, I have dyscalculia. It lasted most of my life. I also have spatial issues and don't drive and am very clumsy and slow moving. I am in a very strange predicament. I can now calculate the ratios of electromagnetic pulses to electron velocity but yet I am incapable of giving change in a shop. The simplest task is beyond me. Friends helped me to pick up shop work like facing shelves or stocking bananas but I tend to be too slow and detailed. They say I work well but just a bit slower. For the most part I'm unemployable and had difficulty all my life surviving in jobs.

• Like 1

Nesf
14 hours ago, RiRi said:

I think he said in his post that he passed the dyscalculia online test with a 20/20 :) if I understood correctly. So he does have dyscalculia? Do you know if he mentioned this in another post?

I think I may have dyscalculia. I always miscount how many people there are. Like I can't do it by just glancing even if it's just 4 people. But, if he passed the test and he has dyscalculia perhaps the test isn't always an indicator that one can have dyscalculia? I wish I knew for sure if it's likely I have it. 

No, he was quoting me. He doesn't say that he took the test or what his result was if he took it. He has mentioned several times that he has dyscalculia, I don't know if this is a self-diagnosis or an official diagnosis. I don't know how accurate the test is, but I suspect that it is a fairly good indicator.

Edited by Nesf

Nesf
12 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

To answer the other question, yes, I have dyscalculia. It lasted most of my life.

Are you officially diagnosed with dyscalculia, or is this a self-diagnosis? I believe that you are born with it, so if you have it, you have it all your life.

Sanctuary
1 hour ago, Nesf said:

Are you officially diagnosed with dyscalculia, or is this a self-diagnosis? I believe that you are born with it, so if you have it, you have it all your life.

I think you're right Nesf that dyscalculia - like dyslexia - is a lifelong condition. Both conditions though can be managed and supported better so some success can be achieved although the problems will always be present in some form. I guess that David's problems in Maths earlier in life may have been more related to teaching or confidence issues. There are many people who struggled badly in certain subjects at school who later very high achievers when returning to study as adults but these transformations are more to do with greater maturity, better teaching and changing life circumstances than deep-seated ability issues.

David's point about speed is an important one. It's certainly possible for someone to have high ability in a subject but work so slowly that they underachieve. They may also struggle when having to produce those skills in a social situation, when being observed or being tested in some way. Working on a cash till as David mentions is a social situation and requires a quick response so may undermine someone with AS who otherwise has good maths skills. Working slowly, taking longer to "process" questions and requests can certainly be problems for those with AS and can lead to difficulties in education and employment. Students with AS can get more time these days in exams for this reason and employers who know a worker has AS may be able to offer support or give them different tasks. Often the most important thing is that such knowledge can lead to a less judgemental approach so teachers and employers don't wrongly believe a lack of speed is due to lack of ability or lack of concentration or commitment.

• Helpful 1

Nesf
4 minutes ago, Sanctuary said:

David's point about speed is an important one. It's certainly possible for someone to have high ability in a subject but work so slowly that they underachieve. They may also struggle when having to produce those skills in a social situation, when being observed or being tested in some way. Working on a cash till as David mentions is a social situation and requires a quick response so may undermine someone with AS who otherwise has good maths skills. Working slowly, taking longer to "process" questions and requests can certainly be problems for those with AS and can lead to difficulties in education and employment. Students with AS can get more time these days in exams for this reason and employers who know a worker has AS may be able to offer support or give them different tasks. Often the most important thing is that such knowledge can lead to a less judgemental approach so teachers and employers don't wrongly believe a lack of speed is due to lack of ability or lack of concentration or commitment.

Yes, you are right - I really would have benefitted from a diagnosis in childhood for this reason - though the conditions in the exam room, absolute silence, did help me concentrate better and i did better in my maths exam than expected. I'm still slow to finish tasks, can't concentrate in noisy environments - when I'm at the till to pay, I can't concentrate to cound my cash, or I forget/confuse the order of my PIN number on my card because my head isn't clear - it's a problem.

Dr-David-Banner

"Are you officially diagnosed with dyscalculia, or is this a self-diagnosis? I believe that you are born with it, so if you have it, you have it all your life."

I don't have the eagerness over the issue to try and get an actual dyscalculia diagnosis. Besides, that would be kind of hard now as my maths is in some ways well above average. I can say though that to get to the point I'm now at with maths involved brain-sizzling work with a fair few sleepless nights. With languages I never had to work like that - it was just naturally easy for me. Despite serious learning difficulties, the one area I did do O.K. was in reading. I learned to read a bit late but then proved to be a fairly natural linguist. Yet with maths I was clueless. Only a strong desire to learn maths for my electronics interest turned the situation around.
Very recently I had to do Logs as it kept coming up with respect to decibels. I was lucky though as my book just gives you a graph to use. Using the graph you can take any power output in watts and then trace the equivalent in decibels which is a logarithmic value.