Myrtonos

Does anyone here know of any independent vloggers?

Myrtonos

And I mean ones that self host their content. They're hard to find. When I look up self-hosting, I find links to pages given reason not to self host, which is surely rather pointless given that it's not the norm.

Miss Chief

What does it matter whether they host it on their own site (at their own expense) or if they use a free service to host it? Are you interested in how they cover their expenses with ads/patreon or something? Also do you want any vlogger or someone talking about something specific?

I got to be honest while I can imagine Bloggers using their own site and paying for their own hosting, Vloggers will be altogether rarer since you don't just pay for space with a hosting company, you also pay for bandwidth which will shoot up for video content... why would someone want to cover all those costs when there are sites that provide free uploads and even allow you to make revenue from it (like YouTube), or would you be okay with a site that embeds a YouTube video on the site, so it's actually hosted on YouTube but can be watched on the independent site?

I'm really curious why you want this? Why is it important to you that they host their own stuff? Are you thinking about doing it yourself? If the latter I may be able to help you out but I have to warn you, you would be FAR better of using a free service to host the video content at the very least, however, if you have some aversion to YouTube there are other options available, you also might be able to raise revenue via patreon if you can build a loyal subscriber base, which might then cover the costs of hosting, but you would need to get subscribers and the more people who watch the higher the hosting will cost so you will be in a catch 22 at least initially, plus of course not everyone who watches will donate.

I think Philip DeFranco hosts his own stuff on DeFrancoElite, not sure if he counts as a vlogger really though.

Anyway I will wait till you answer before I go on anymore ;) 

Edited by Miss Chief

Miss Chief
On 06/02/2018 at 7:48 AM, Myrtonos said:

What if someone wants to be more exclusive?

What do you mean? Do you mean you limit who can view the material? What would be the point of that?

Myrtonos

Well, it's an oddball thing, doing things differently.

Myrtonos

Well, okay, YouTube is very mainstream, and maybe someone isn't mainstream enough for that.

Myrtonos

I have had internet for many years, as far back as the 1990s. I can remember occasional self-hosted content from before the YouTube days.

For an analogy, Imagine if American style fast food chains were the only places to eat out.

Miss Chief

I've also been online since the 90's (early 90's at that) but even back then there were free hosting options (like ISP provided hosting or using url extensions on free providers or even doing a DNS redirect to a free provider), I agree that it was more the norm back then to host you own stuff, I still own 3 domains now and pay for hosting them, my partner hosts his domain/email on a linux server at his house, but these are not the cheapest options and more importantly it can be difficult to reach an audience from a little known site, this site for example got it's user base mainly from people who watched Willows YouTube videos and even then we don't have a lot of users. What's more sites like YouTube make it easier for creators to get revenue from their material. Anyway to answer your original question, no I don't know any vloggers who host their own content but then to be honest I don't really watch vloggers so I'm probably the wrong person to help there (had you been looking to setup a site I might have been more useful to you).

Myrtonos

I've heard of GeoCities, yes I knew about it back then. Another site that makes it even easier to get for creators to get revenue from material is Patreon, which is quite well known. If I were a vlogger, I would go into the trouble of hosting it myself and maybe using a Patreon campaign to get money to pay for the hosting.

Miss Chief

Well yes... I did mention Patreon above, like I said though the issue would be getting an audience to you site in the first place, once you have an audience Patreon is an option but getting an audience via a little know domain is going to be hard, it would be easier to start on YouTube where people will find you and then when you are established moving (with your audience) to a private site... like Philip Defranco did (EDIT: he is of course still on YouTube but he also has defrancoelite for subscribers). YouTube is ideal for finding an audience cause people often go there and search for stuff directly but also if you were to vlog about autism for example it is likely the algorithm would recommend your video's to people like me who watch videos on that topic and so you reach people who might never know you exist on a private domain, if you aren't on the first page of google results then people are unlikely to stumble across your site which means your audience will be small and won't grow quickly, and then you aren't going to get sponsorship or donations. If you already have an audience then those things are options to consider though.

So are you thinking of doing this or are you just looking for people who do this? Also what topic are you looking for? Autism? 

Edited by Miss Chief