Gone away

An empathy quotient test.
I don't know how good an indicator it is, but was surprised by my score which I thought would be higher.
I guess scores may differ a little at different times.
I scored 19 / 80

https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/

• Like 2

RiRi

I got 35/80.

(Taken from a blog)

The resulting test scores are interpreted in the following ways:

0 – 32 = low (most people with Asperger Syndrome or high-functioning autism score about 20)

33 – 52 = average (most women score about 47 and most men score about 42)

53 – 63 is above average

64 – 80 is very high

80 is maximum

Edited by RiRi
  • Like 1

Harrow

I got 60 points. Which should be against the norm for me. But I answered as truthfully as possible 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Primeape

19/80 I scored just taking it now

Probably different by how I feel at certain times 

• Like 2

RiRi

The question that asked do you prefer animals than humans, I put strongly disagree because I'm generally afraid of animals. But, I don't know how that relates to having empathy? 

Harrow
34 minutes ago, RiRi said:

The question that asked do you prefer animals than humans, I put strongly disagree because I'm generally afraid of animals. But, I don't know how that relates to having empathy? 

Because animals are helpless they can't protect themselves (generally speaking in this context) I hope that makes sense. And Anna just because your afraid of them doesn't mean you don't feel for them. I remember the dog you told me about 😊

• Like 1

RiRi

@Harrow Thank you for explaining. I think it's not a good question to ask because some people might be afraid of them like me. I will change my answer once I get the chance and see what it gives me, it might not be much of a difference. 

Yes, there was another question that asked something like if you see them suffering, you'd feel for them, I can't remember the words exactly. I put strongly agree. 

Edited by RiRi

Sanctuary

An interesting test - thanks for posting it Gone home. Although I thought many of my answers showed a degree of empathy I only scored 17 so I'm not quite sure how the test was scored. As with many such tests the questions can be quite difficult to answer and depend heavily on context and specific situations. I think in any diagnostic situation there would be a need to discuss the questions and responses and not just look at the raw score. I suppose with AS empathy manifests itself in untypical ways rather than being absent or even reduced. For example someone with AS may not try to console someone who is upset because of fear of seeming intrusive or getting things wrong and causing further distress rather than not feeling for their situation.

• Like 3

RiRi

Changed my answer to whether I prefer animals to humans to strongly agree and I got the same result so maybe that question is not accounted for in the empathy test. I know sometimes test are like that that they include some questions just to be there but don't count towards the score. 

13 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

For example someone with AS may not try to console someone who is upset because of fear of seeming intrusive or getting things wrong and causing further distress rather than not feeling for their situation.

Yes, I would agree with this and I have felt like this (the fear of seeming intrusive/bothering someone) not just in times where the person needs consoling. This happens both online and in person.

When I took the test, I took it as if it were me in person. At this moment in my life, in some situations, I act differently online than in person. For example, a stranger online who is a newbie on this forum posts a thread, if I'm more active than not on the forum, I'd go and welcome them. I don't think I'd be able to do this in person. 

Gone away
8 hours ago, RiRi said:

Changed my answer to whether I prefer animals to humans to strongly agree and I got the same result

I think these tests  are just scored left and right of centre ... so slightly agree and strongly agree are the same regarding scoring. The only score difference being either agree or disagree.
It frustrating knowing this after spending time wondering whether its slightly or strongly - but thats how its done

• Helpful 1

Sanctuary
10 hours ago, RiRi said:

Yes, I would agree with this and I have felt like this (the fear of seeming intrusive/bothering someone) not just in times where the person needs consoling. This happens both online and in person.

When I took the test, I took it as if it were me in person. At this moment in my life, in some situations, I act differently online than in person. For example, a stranger online who is a newbie on this forum posts a thread, if I'm more active than not on the forum, I'd go and welcome them. I don't think I'd be able to do this in person. 

I am much the same in terms of keeping my distance from other people in real life. I don't want to be seen as intrusive or getting too close and try to respect others' space and privacy. I feel that if they want more contact it's best to leave the initiative to them. However I'm aware that others may see things differently and interpret my behaviour as "stand-offish", "aloof" or "anti-social". I'm not sure if it were referenced in the empathy test but it's possible lack of social involvement in this way might be interpreted as lacking empathy - being uninterested in the lives of others. For me though it displays a different and important kind of empathy which is giving others space and privacy. Sometimes it seems people with AS cannot win - if they interact with others they are seen as awkward and lacking social skills and when they don't interact they are seen as being anti-social.

• Like 2

Nesf

I got a really low score on this test, only 11, but I don't think that I lack empathy. I think I'm perhaps not answering the questions right as I should, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to answer them, but I put slightly agree or slightly disagree to many of them, and it seem to give equal rating to both the mild end of the spectrum (slightly agree/diagree) and the extreme end (strongly agree/disagree) and I don't think that this is right. Also, perhaps they should give more weighting to certain things, like feeling for people and animals which are suffering, as for me, this is basic empathy, and I certainly I feel for people and animals who are suffering. Many of the items are due to ASD traits, and not lack of empathy, they are not the same thing.

• Like 3

Nesf

If I could think of occasions where something it was asking me had happened, I put 'slightly...' and if it was something that was a problem for me, I put 'strongly...' but perhaps I should have disregarded things happening only a couple of times... but then I would have to put the opposite, and that's not true, either.

• Helpful 1

Miss Chief

Like @Nesf I think I got some of these wrong as I was trying to think of examples and if I thought of one I said yes but perhaps I should have also tried to think of times when I got things wrong, that might have been a more accurate/balanced portrayal. 

However, I also think that I have worked out quite a lot of this stuff since becoming an adult, I think I would have scored much lower when I was a teenager, but life experience and observing others has taught me an awful lot (I didn't even really start observing others until I was 14).

Also I don't think it was that I ever lacked empathy (I've always been distressed by seeing others in pain or witnessing cruelty or injustice) but I do think that when I was young I didn't always pick up on things (cause I wasn't watching) or know what it was that I was seeing (cause I didn't have the experience to interpret the situation properly), this is what I have learned to do better as an adult. 

Anyways my score was 32/80.

Edited by Miss Chief
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1