sarahjanesoprano

Neuroatypical vs autistic/aspie

sarahjanesoprano

Hey guys. 

I was was watching a tv show called Elementary a while ago (for those of you who may not be aware, this is a modern version of Sherlock Holmes in New York City). In a few episodes, there is a character who is on the spectrum, but prefers to use the term “neuroatypical”. From my understanding, this term means someone whose neurological structure or function does not fit in with what society says is normal, therefore it could be thought of as including a wide variety of conditions, rather than the term “autism”, which is more specific. I was wondering which term you guys prefer. 

To be clear, I’m on the spectrum as well. 

• Like 1

Miss Chief

Someone on the spectrum is neuroatypical but that isn't very specific... that could mean you are a psychopath for example or any of a number of other neurological/psychological conditions. Personally I would say I am on the spectrum and if someone didn't know what that was I would say I had autism or Asperger's syndrome, people usually know at least a little about those, I wouldn't want to have them going away wondering what is 'wrong' with me ;) 

• Like 1

Gone away

Nuerotypical  (NT) =  'normal' or people without neurological condition / label
Nuerodiverse  (ND)  = different ... or to NTs not normal. This is not restricted to autism 

I prefer the term autistic, or autistic spectrum condition ... or aspergers ... I'm not sure the general public understand what those terms are in real terms though - so if I have to I will briefly qualify neurological excesses, differences and deficits in relation to the situation if for example I am asking for a reasonable adjustment with an organisation

Edited by Gone home
  • Helpful 1

Gone away

OK, I can't spell and missed the significance of the letter  'a' in neuroatypical .... in fact today is the first time I have ever come across the word.
I wouldn't want to be called anything I don't understand so ...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Miss Chief
29 minutes ago, Gone home said:

OK, I can't spell and missed the significance of the letter  'a' in neuroatypical .... in fact today is the first time I have ever come across the word.
I wouldn't want to be called anything I don't understand so ...

I also misread the original post... I thought she was saying someone on the spectrum wanted to be called neurotypical... I wrote a funny reply likening it to gay people not coming out but I did catch it before posting ;) I do try to check things before I post fortunately :) 

I am familiar with the term neuroatypical (and atypical) but I guess your word neurodiverse is nicer since it suggests diversity instead of atypical/abnormal traits/behaviour.

• Like 2

Nesf

I prefer to use the term 'Asperger's' to describe myself, because that's what I was diagnosed with. I prefer the term 'neurodiverse' to 'neuroatypical' and would use that to describe the neurodiverse community as a whole, but not to myself, because I want to be more specific about my condition.

• Like 1