Myrtonos

What was the greatest intellectual discovery of all time?

Miss Chief

You can't really pick one... each one leads to others, as Newton said he was 'Standing on the shoulders of giants' this means that he was able to make his discoveries/theories because those who came before him had made other discoveries that he was able to build on. The same applies to all disciplines.

RiRi

I think the greatest one would be when they invent a cure for depression or a cure for cancer or the moment our lives could be extended significantly but I'm a way that would make our lives better. There are probably many but those are the ones I can think of for now. 

Asgardian
10 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

This is a big question.

Arguably too big. I don't think it is possible to narrow it down to one discovery. Personally I think the only ones which could be considered would be any discovery that has helped prolong or save lives. Having said that, there are too many problems which have yet to be solved to be able to say that our greatest intellectual discovery has already taken place. I would like to think that one day we will be able to cure or even prevent all forms of cancer. If that ever happens then I would say that will be our greatest intellectual discovery. Until then (if it ever happens) I would prefer to think we haven't found the greatest one just yet.

RiRi

Another one I just rememered is the cure for spinal cord injuries. I think the moment they find a cure for that would also be a great moment.

Myrtonos

I mean the greatest intellectual discovery among those made so far.

Asgardian
Just now, Myrtonos said:

I mean the greatest intellectual discovery among those made so far.

I see, well in that case I would say gravity. 

Ben

The beauty of this question is that it'll never be answered. Life evolves, the world evolves, and thoughts and theories evolve. You might have all of the answers now, but the evolutionary scheme of things will come along and change all the questions. 

Eventually, the sun will swallow up the milky way anyway, so in theory it doesn't really matter from a worldly perspective lol. 

Edited by Ben

Miss Chief

In all honesty, I kind of dread finding the cure to cancer... we're pretty good at treating it effectively now but if we cure it then either it will mutate or some other horrific thing will come along to take its place. I really worry what cancer would be like if it mutated to the point that even our current treatments no longer work, or something we don't understand at all comes along (look how long it took us to understand HIV/AIDS).

The point I was making above is... if we did find the cure to cancer it wouldn't be the single greatest discovery, it would be the culmination of centuries of medical knowledge and scientific research, that was kind of my point that no single discovery stands alone they are all built on what others have already learned/discovered.

I suppose if I had to pick something (that already exists) I would go with modern technology/communications (so computers and the internet) but that is also built on by each generation we probably wouldn't have either without; radio, telephone and even television to name but a few of the contributing factors (and that is without mentioning the impact of WWII) :) 

If you want to pick a medical accomplishment (that already exists I mean) I suppose antibiotics are a pretty big step up for us but they were also discovered by accident so not really an intellectual discovery, although at least he decided to run with it instead of dumping the mistake and starting over ;) 

Myrtonos

Regarding cures not yet found, can you guys please focus on discoveries already made?