Sign in to follow this  
nichii

Online Japanese Learning Resources (Other Languages Too)

nichii

This list of resources is mostly focused on Japanese, but some sites offer courses for other languages as well. If anyone is studying Japanese or are interested in learning Japanese, I have a few useful resources that can help you learn. Japanese may seem like a very hard language to learn because of the thousands of kanji, but it's actually really easy to learn if you use mnemonics and SRS (spaced repetition system). Some of the websites I'm about to mention use exactly that to help you learn more easily. Note: Click on the bolded text to visit the websites.

Duolingo:. Duolingo is an excellent site to learn not only Japanese, but several other languages as well. The learning is interactive and kind of like a game since you earn points. It only covers beginner Japanese though, so you'll have to try other sites if you want to learn more.

Memrise: Memrise is a website similar to Duolingo. The difference is that you can learn Japanese at any level. It also teaches just about every other language. The courses are created by the users and the Memrise staff also make official courses too. Like Duolingo, Memrise is like a game and you earn points for learning. You can compete with friends to earn the most points. Every language has many different courses so you'll be sure to find one that interests you. Memrise is unique in the fact that it uses mnemonics which are memory tricks that involve associating something you're familiar with and use that to help you remember what you're trying to learn. This is a more effective method of learning than route memorization in my opinion. Because you associate what you're trying to learn with something you already know, you're able to learn much more quickly and efficiently. It also uses SRS (spaced repetition system) to make sure what you learn stays in your long term memory. This works by reviewing what you learned at specific times depending on how well you know what you're learning. For example, if you learn a Japanese word, you'l be asked to review that fairly often at first and when you correctly remember it, you'll review it less and less. Basically, if you don't know a word very well you'll be expected to review it more often than a word that you know well. 

WaniKani: WaniKani is my favorite website for learning kanji. Kanji can be intimidating, but WaniKani makes it less so. Like Memrise, WaniKani uses mnemonics and SRS to help you learn quickly and efficiently. They teach you 2,000 kanji and 6,000 vocabulary words in only 1 year! The only downside is that it's not free. I believe it costs $20 a month. If you're serious about learning kanji than this website is worth the price.

Textfugu: Textfugu is a website created by the same people who made WaniKani. Textfugu is like an online textbook for learning Japanese. They teach you all the basics in an easy to understand way. When you finish reading everything you should know enough vocabulary and grammar to make Japanese sentences. It won't teach you the more advanced stuff, but it's a great starting point. Unfortunately, like WaniKani, Textfugu is not free. I don't remember how much it costs, but if you're looking for an effective way of learning Japanese, then I believe it's worth the price.

That's all I can remember for now, but I'll add to this if I find or remember any more. I hope this list of resources can help any of you that are studying languages.

• Like 2

Nesf

I've used Memrise before. It's an effective way of learning, but the problem is that anyone can contribute and add lists, and then you get lots od mistakes in the list. Then you can't trust it to learn. Also, it's good for vocabulary, but it can't teach you grammar, which you really need to learn to speak a language well. Most of these site or apps for language learning are good for beginners, but not for advanced learners.

Peridot

こんにちはニチイ。 これは日本語で正しく書かれていますか? 日本語はクールな言語です!

• Like 1

nichii
21 minutes ago, Peridot said:

こんにちはニチイ。 これは日本語で正しく書かれていますか? 日本語はクールな言語です!

You know Japanese? I actually only recently started studying again and forgot a lot of what I learned. I understand the gist of what you said. I need to study more grammar before I'm comfortable making sentences.

1 hour ago, Nesf said:

I've used Memrise before. It's an effective way of learning, but the problem is that anyone can contribute and add lists, and then you get lots od mistakes in the list. Then you can't trust it to learn. Also, it's good for vocabulary, but it can't teach you grammar, which you really need to learn to speak a language well. Most of these site or apps for language learning are good for beginners, but not for advanced learners.

The memrise staff have made official language courses which are more accurate and trustworthy than some user-created courses. Generally the most used courses are pretty accurate and I think there's a discussion page for each course if I'm not mistaken. People can report any mistakes they find there. There are very few online resources for learning more advanced Japanese. The sites I mentioned are there to help you get started and then you're on your own. Books are helpful once you learn enough beginner Japanese.

• Like 2

nichii

I can't believe I forgot. There's another resource I discovered recently. Unfortunately, I can't edit my original post, so I'll just post it here.

Bunpro: This is a free and great resource for learning Japanese grammar. You learn each grammar point and add them to your review list to study. The grammar points have examples and links to detailed information explaining how you use that grammar. It uses SRS, so what you learn can stay in your long term memory. What also is nice is that is organizes each grammar set based on your JLPT level. If you're a beginner you'll want to start on N5. From there you keep going down every time you master a grammar set. Once you complete N1 you should know all the grammar you'll need to speak Japanese. From beginner grammar to advanced grammar. I struggle learning grammar and it's hard to understand and remember grammar from most sites. Bunpro however makes it very easy to learn grammar. The website is designed in a way that makes learning grammar a lot easier than reading long explanations from websites or books that are hard to remember. It's the best resource for learning grammar in my opinion.

• Like 1

Peridot
24 minutes ago, nichii said:

You know Japanese? I actually only recently started studying again and forgot a lot of what I learned. I understand the gist of what you said. I need to study more grammar before I'm comfortable making sentences.

いいえ、私は日本語を話せません。

I used the Google translator. :lol:

Edited by Peridot
  • Helpful 1

nichii

I admit that I've used Google translate many times when I don't understand something or if I want to see if what I'm saying is correct. Of course online translators are far less accurate than a person who knows the language, but it's useful if you want to understand the basic idea of what was said. Google is using neural networks to improve translation, so one day translators like Google translate can be much more accurate than before.

• Like 2

Catman2018

I have been practicing Japanese in Dulango and Google Translate. I know some Japanese. Nani, ochitsuku, ochisuki, oppai, and kinnochia.  I want to learn Japanese because of my dream. I like this topic, Nichii. 

• Helpful 1

Peridot

Cool song about Japan. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Catman2018
9 minutes ago, Peridot said:

Cool song about Japan. ^_^

I heard a that song a couple of weeks ago on Spotify. 

• Like 1

Peridot
28 minutes ago, Catman2018 said:

I heard a that song a couple of weeks ago on Spotify. 

It's pretty cool. He appears to have reused a melody from an earlier song called Heartbeats which is also cool. I guess my favorites of the new album however are Energy and Catbot.

Edited by Peridot
  • Like 1

MrGrey

Thnx for this info.  I WILL check all of this out.  I've always wanted to learn Japanese.  I know a few phrases:

Hajimemashite, watashi wa Grey desu.

• Like 1