Sign in to follow this  
MrGrey

Spotting depression before it happens

MrGrey

I have a few things that need to get done and somehow keep getting delayed.  As time goes by, I started loosing interest on things I usually enjoy.  I'm barely playing anything, I'm not watching my usual shows, I'm having trouble sleeping... even my youtube feed is now just random boring meme compilations.  All these are signs of depression.  Most likely because of the important things that keep getting delayed.  

I've been getting better at spotting the signs early, before a full blown debilitating depression hits.  It gives you a little bit of room to find some counter-measures and try to stay a little happier.

DC1346
8 hours ago, MrGrey said:

I have a few things that need to get done and somehow keep getting delayed.  As time goes by, I started loosing interest on things I usually enjoy.  I'm barely playing anything, I'm not watching my usual shows, I'm having trouble sleeping... even my youtube feed is now just random boring meme compilations.  All these are signs of depression.  Most likely because of the important things that keep getting delayed. 

I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch.

What are these important things that need to be done that keep getting delayed? Are you the cause of these delays or did these delays occur outside of your control? Is there anything you could do to overcome and deal with these delays?

Do you have any special activities or interests to divert you if you're feeling down?

I have 5 cats at home and when I'm sad, 2 or more of my cats will come and cuddle with me. I find it odd that I can tolerate the touch of a cat when I am quite intolerant of being touched by a person. I wonder why that is?

I have Total War Napoleon on my desk top computer. Having already played and completed all of the campaign modes, I only play this game when I'm feeling down. Since I have already completed all of the campaigns, I like the quick play option for this game. I play the French and divest myself of skirmishers and all but 3 battalions of infantry. I then purchase 3 rocket batteries because the rockets have a far greater range than the smooth bore artillery pieces.

I take advantage of the game field by wedging most of my troops into a distant quarter. The rockets are in the rear and the infantry is spread out at an angle to block any approach to the rockets. I put two units of cavalry far out on a distant flank and start the game.

As the enemy approaches, I use my rockets to concentrate my long range fire on the opposing cavalry. The few cavalry units that survive to reach my infantry find themselves facing formidable squares with fixed bayonets. One or two volleys are usually enough to rout the surviving cavalry. My infantry units then reform their lines as the enemy infantry approaches.

I bombard the enemy infantry with concentrated rocket fire while my own units stand firm and volley fire. While the enemy infantry is fixated on my line, my two units of cavalry charge into their rear. Surprise quickly turns to panic and the enemy line rapidly falls apart as first one unit and then another break and run.

Taking out my frustrations on a cyber-enemy helps me feel better.

Since I'm a chef, I also enjoy making myself a meal. If I'm really down and out, I grab a steak from the freezer. I buy steaks in bulk and individually plastic wrap them to put in my 2nd freezer. The steak goes on a flat top griddle over medium low heat. I put a pot lid over it and let it cook/defrost. Once the meat is browned and defrosted, I season it ... usually with just salt, freshly ground pepper, and garlic powder.

I zap a potato in the oven to "bake" it and add sour cream, cheese, butter and salt.

I also defrost a couple of frozen corn on the cobs in hot water.

Steak, a loaded baked potato, and corn on the cob is one of my default comfort meals. Do you have any comfort meals that you might enjoy?

I wish you all the best.

Be well!

David