Primeape

ASD and not feeling unwell even when you are ill

Primeape

I went to doctors for a check up on my mental health an unrelated subject she wanted to check why my pulse was high and she did an ecg which was normal today 

She got the nurse to check my temp and turns out i have a fever and my body is fighting a chest infection

I said to her i dont feel ill even though i have a chest infection she thinks it may be due to my ASD thats why i dont feel ill even when i am 

Does anyone else have the same trait has me when its to do with your health? Was jusf interested in hearing a trait like that existed

• Like 1

Nesf

Usually, when I have a temperature, I'm aware of it, because I feel unusually cold, or I feel dizzy and light-headed, but I think it is possible to not be aware of symptoms of illness because of ASD. Sometimes, I have been extremely anxious but not aware of it, then it all catches up with me and I suddenly become very sick and nauseous.

Primeape

Thats interesting, thank you nesf

Its good you can feel when you have a fever, on monday i couldnt feel mine and my temp was 38.5 i i was telling my doctor i dont feel it, so she had to check where my infection is since i said i feel okay

Turns out ive got chest infection 

Nesf
5 minutes ago, Not here said:

Thats interesting, thank you nesf

Its good you can feel when you have a fever, on monday i couldnt feel mine and my temp was 38.5 i i was telling my doctor i dont feel it, so she had to check where my infection is since i said i feel okay

Turns out ive got chest infection 

Are you taking antibiotics? I hope you are well again soon! I think it's possible to have a chest infection and not be aware of it.

Primeape

@Nesf yeah shes put me on antibiotics, they dont give them out often so i must of had it at least a few weeks 

• Like 1

RiRi

Yeah, I had H. Pylori in my system for years without me realizing I was ill.  I'm sure there are other instances but I can't think of more right now. 

Edited by RiRi
  • Helpful 1

Primeape

Ive had that h pylori thing too except that time i was vomiting alot and i couldnt hold food down 

Thanks for posting RiRi

• Like 1

RiRi

You musta had the severe symptoms. I had the constant burping and my tummy hurting and being relived until I ate, I don't know why I didn't think to go to the doctor to check and see what was up. I've no idea for how long I had it too but the doctor said it seemed I had it for a while.

Edited by RiRi

Primeape

Sounds like mine was severe i agree, i can understand why you didng go to doctor straight away since the symptoms of yours wasnt too bothersome:)

Willow

I'm quite the opposite - I know when I'm not very well, like with a temperature or something. A couple of weeks ago I had a fever of 40 degrees and a cough etc., though I didn't go to the doctors, I just kept cool and drank plenty and took cough medicine regularly. 

I'm not too sure on what the logic could be behind relating not realising you're ill, to having an ASD. Maybe a more likely scenario is just not thinking to seek help.

I do tend to get ill a lot though because I'm permanently run down from my other health issues, so I guess I'm more aware of it and used to spotting symptoms early on.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

collectingrocks

I wonder, because of ASD, we get anxious more which puts us at risk of anxiety-related illnesses? I know if I get tension headaches, my anxiety has hit the roof... 

• Like 4

Primeape

@Willow Its good you was able to get better from self care :)

I think since its a chest infection people tend to usually feel ill and feel pain with it, but to me it was nothing i had a fever of 38.5 aswell but didnt feel hot or anything the only symptom i could feel was a pounding heart, i just thought it was one of my SVT episodes again thats why i mentioned it to my doctor, i tend to seek help for my heart symptoms

I could be a little hyposensative to certain types of pain these days maybe thats what she meant, i usually would seek help from my doctors 

Edited by Not here
  • Like 1

RiRi
28 minutes ago, Willow said:

I'm not too sure on what the logic could be behind relating not realising you're ill, to having an ASD. Maybe a more likely scenario is just not thinking to seek help.

I think this is true. I had been struggling with depression and other mental health problems for years and only recently have, finally, been able to see a therapist. I have ongoing problems that have been ongoing but I don't go to the doctor often enough to address them. It doesn't mean I don't struggle with them (as the disability agency has implied). 

Edited by RiRi
  • Like 1

Asgardian
38 minutes ago, collectingrocks said:

I wonder, because of ASD, we get anxious more which puts us at risk of anxiety-related illnesses? 

Yes, I often feel that could be the case.

Willow
56 minutes ago, collectingrocks said:

I wonder, because of ASD, we get anxious more which puts us at risk of anxiety-related illnesses? I know if I get tension headaches, my anxiety has hit the roof... 

Yeah I think this is probably a fair comment - I'm the same with headaches.

55 minutes ago, Not here said:

@Willow Its good you was able to get better from self care :)

I try and get better myself before going to the doctors, but I do have an ongoing monthly appointment with my doctor so my usual policy is if I'm still ill when I see her, I'll bring it up haha.

• Like 1

Nesf
10 hours ago, collectingrocks said:

Yes, I think this is certainly true, it happens to me quite a bit.

• Like 1