Willow

Updates

nichii

@Willow I also have fibromyalgia, so I know what it's like. A few things have helped me manage the pain. Large doses of omega 3 fish oil, ashwagandha, kava, and kratom. Kratom by far has helped the most. I can enjoy life again without being in constant pain and discomfort. It's taken my pain away almost completely. It's legal in most states in the U.S., but I don't know if it's legal where you live. Inflammation is believed to play a role in fibromyalgia, so an anti-inflammatory may help. A supplement containing turmeric and curcumin with bioperine to increase absorption could help. It's a potent anti-inflammatory. coQ10 and rhodiola rosea may also help.

Edited by nichii

Willow

@nichii Thank you :) I take codeine for the pain, and ibuprofen for inflammation, but it doesn't seem to help much. 

Miss Chief

Hi Willow, it's nice to hear from you, sorry you have fibromyalgia (my mum has that) I know it can be unpleasant. I'm also sorry you don't feel welcome here and I hope that changes but I suppose being the owner must make it feel more like work than a support community. I also wish you luck with your new course and I hope you start enjoying all the things you used to :) 

StarlessEclipse

@Willow I was thinking it might be a good idea to send out an email to all registered members, just to remind them that the forum is still active, being updated, etc. There were a lot of really great people here in the early days who, for whatever reason, drifted away and have perhaps forgotten that this place exists. It would be nice to see some old faces reappearing.

Willow

Thank @Sirius, it's a great idea - I've set a bulk email to go out to members who haven't visited us in over 6 months. Maybe someone will come back! :)

Ben
On 07/04/2018 at 10:43 AM, Sirius said:

@Willow I was thinking it might be a good idea to send out an email to all registered members, just to remind them that the forum is still active, being updated, etc. There were a lot of really great people here in the early days who, for whatever reason, drifted away and have perhaps forgotten that this place exists. It would be nice to see some old faces reappearing.

Do you remember Sa Skimrande? (I think he changed his name to 'Andy' in the end.) He was one of the most interesting members of any forum I've ever been on. When I moderated ASD Uk we had a fierce and very bitter rivalry. Then, when we both moved over here, we became best of friends. Almost immediately.

It's amazing what can happen once you rid a community of the cooperate image. If the same is true across the board, then we may have found our answer to world peace... (duh)

I don't know where the originals went. Nothing actually 'happened' did it? 

StarlessEclipse
On 10/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ben said:

Do you remember Sa Skimrande? (I think he changed his name to 'Andy' in the end.) He was one of the most interesting members of any forum I've ever been on. When I moderated ASD Uk we had a fierce and very bitter rivalry. Then, when we both moved over here, we became best of friends. Almost immediately.

He was a bit before my time, leaving a few months before I joined. If I recall correctly, he came back briefly a couple of years ago then disappeared again. His posts were always very thought-provoking.

On 10/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, Ben said:

I don't know where the originals went. Nothing actually 'happened' did it? 

I think it's down to a variety of factors. I could name several who were driven away by disputes with specific people, some who were banned, some who left for mental health reasons, some who left for truly bizarre reasons (like that guy who found 'Koby & Friends' offensive), and others who just lost interest. The forum has been plagued by a lot of sustained petty hostility at times which has no doubt been off-putting to less combative members. I know that Andy_R left because of what a negative environment it was at that point. A lot of people found this place through Willow's videos, so the influx new members slowed down during the time when she was less active.

There's also the simple fact that autism is a finite topic of discussion. There's only so much one can say about it before descending into pointless repetition and contrived absurdity. I think I realised Wrong Planet had jumped the shark when I saw that "Can autistic people like the colour yellow?" was the most active thread on the front page. Being a place for people on the spectrum (and anyone with something valuable to contribute) to hang out, but that isn't 100% focused on the condition is probably the reason for Asperclick's success, which is why I reckon the new "clubs" feature is a step in the right direction.