collectingrocks

Acceptable noise levels in shops

collectingrocks

Today, I visited a large, well known sports shop to buy my daughter a pair of trainers. It is well known for playing loud music. As soon as I entered, my ears started to thump making me feel anxious. I braved walking through to the back of the shop but the music was so loud, I had to walk out. 

After 5mins, I decided to have another go and used a special app on my phone to measure the noise levels. Not truly scientific I know, but wanted to get a general idea. The song had just finished and after a short ad, the next song came on which was a little quieter, however after spending 5mins inside the shop, the dB meter peaked at 86dB a few times (goodness knows what the previous song would have peaked at...)

I asked a member of staff if she would kindly turn the music down only to be told "I'm sorry, it's not possible as it's done from Head Office" 

Really!!????

I walked around the store and asked someone else who seemed a bit more astute - only for her to go and ask the same person again (who happened to be the store supervisor). She retorted the same statement as before

I then asked her if she was happy for her staff to be subjected to this noise level all day with the risk of damage to their ears and tinnitus. By then the music was peaking at 88dB and the supervisor could clearly see what I was doing. She said "I'm sorry, I can give you the number for customer services" And again, she flatly denied that she had any control over the level of the music. 

I promptly left the store vowing never to go back again

Anyone else had such a horrible experience?

HalfFull

Legally I think the maximum is 120db in UK. I can't concentrate with high levels.

I went into a mobile shop to sort out an issue. They let me ring Customer services from the shop. Trouble was, it was excessively hard to hear the person on the other end. I found it would have been easier to ring from home, but then would have had the fear that the shop assistant isn't there to back you up, for all the help they are anyway!

collectingrocks

Legally, you can be exposed to 85dB for 8 hours, 88dB for 4 hours and 91dB for 2 hours. Excessive noise levels over time can cause permanent hearing damage and tinnitus (ringing in the ears). 

Peridot

120db seems kind of loud for a store... I mean it's as loud as an orchestra or a rock concert! You can't have that kind of level in a store surely?

I remember one time I was in a bar where the music was terribly loud. I was sitting there with people I knew at the time and I didn't really enjoy myself as the sound was just scary. I also never go to concerts anymore as I hate being exposed to sound levels of 100 - 120db. I hate it. That's not what a musical experience is supposed to be like, in my opinion.

Tinnitus is no joke. Just the other day I saw a little documentary about a woman who ended up choosing to be euthanized as she couldn't find peace due to tinnitus. It broke her down over time and it ruined her life. She couldn't go anywhere anymore and enjoy herself also because she had hyperacusis too which is where sound actually causes physical pain.

Nesf

I once went into a shop like that with loud music, and found it unbearable. I think that if you go to a rock concert or night clubs, you can expect that and it is your responsibility, but music shouldn't be that loud in a retail store.

HalfFull

Well when I said 120db, I meant that nowhere could ever legally go above it, but I guess nightclubs and rock concerts would be the only places permitted to go that high, not retail outlets. Some factories maybe, though one would wear ear defenders, probably by law. At work, I was to sit next to someone in a band and he had developed tinnitus as a result. Really makes me wonder why people insist on listen to such deafening music. 

• Like 1

Joie6

Well...every time I go to clothes shop, like H&M or Desigual. Once you enter the shop, I feel attacked by the loud music (which is often electronic in shops for young women). And it's worse when sellers are observing you, waiting that you stay long in front of an item to come and ask if you need help... And talking with people with you in the shop, let's not talk about it...

nichii

I can relate to this. I've been to places like this before that have their music too loud. I have sensory issues and being in a place with a lot of loud noises sucks. Sounds feel a lot louder than they might actually be and too much noise can be overwhelming and anxiety provoking. Almost physically painful in a way. My sensory issues were under control for a long time, but now they're back again ever since I was prescribed ritalin. I take magnesium thinking that the ritalin is lowering my magnesium too much, but the magnesium doesn't always help enough. Just the sound of someone talking at a normal volume can feel very uncomfortable. All I can really do is take something to calm me down, like kava. This isn't possible when I'm out though and don't have anything with me that I can take. Phenibut seems to help, but I can't take it every day and only take it before appointments.

Aeolienne

I once complained about the music playing in Hamleys toy store. It wasn't actually the volume I objected to so much as the choice of music (Salt 'n' Pepa, Let's Talk About Sex). The staff agreed with me that it was totally inappropriate for a child-friendly environment, but they said they had no choice in the matter.

Edited by Aeolienne
italics