Dr-David-Banner

THE DISTORTION OF ASPERGER'S

Dr-David-Banner

What's been on my mind is how so many people want to have AS and really I think the media is the cause.  I think so much good has been said about AS maybe it became the creme de la creme of neurological deviations from neurotypical. Unlike schizophrenia or m.p.d. When was the last time you saw someone with a "Hug me I'm m.p.d."T-Shirt? The real history of AS is really so different and it never was a cool personality syndrome. It was linked to psychopathy, repetitive behaviour and often bottled up anger. Some people with AS do develop psychosis. One fact that would shock people was that three psychologists diagnosed Mark David Chapman with AS and as eventually psychotic. Chapman was at one time a Christian youth leader. The point is blunt and straight. Not every schizophrenic is dangerous. Many are great musicians. Not every person with AS is a Mark Chapman. And yet, with AS there is denial it is like other neurological irregularities. The whole thing has been airbrushed because people were convinced AS is a cool testimony to be different than mundane NTs. I would love to see more perspective even if to do that we tell people what they don't want to hear. That is AS people are often unemployed, isolated, misunderstood and not all that different from those with other neurological deviations. Given Schizoid Personality is almost identical to AS how many people would want others to apply the term?

Dr-David-Banner

Years ago when I was naieve I told a girlfriend I had suspected AS and she said, "Oh, that! My brother's got that and my next door neighbour but one!" It's very open to debate the way to regain genuine perspective is to either usd Schizoid Personality Disorder or HFA. I never discuss AS around people and family have no idea. I dislike using AS as somehow it became a cool personality leap.

Edited by Dr-David-Banner

Dr-David-Banner

To further add, something bugged me for ages about modern psychology and AS. The original study took place in 1930s Austria. The children were severely impaired and barely functional as children. Modern psychology knew nothing of AS till Aspergers work was translated from German in the late 1980s. Somewhere along the line it morphed into a kind of New Age neurodiversity movement. Very often when I read articles by modern psychologists on AS, I am often inclined to disagree. Maybe the recent removal of AS as a diagnosis will allow us to return to the original research.

nichii

When it comes to schizophrenia and m.p.d (which is called Dissociative Identity Disorder now), these disorders are very misunderstood and have a lot of stigma surrounding them. People with schizophrenia are often viewed as dangerous. Most people know very little or nothing about DID and people often think that DID is the same as schizophrenia. It's not at all the same. To a lot of people who only know about ASD through media like TV shows and movies, they see it as a neat personality rather than a medical condition that can make someone's life very difficult. People see the positive traits of ASD, but don't realize there's a lot of negatives to ASD as well.

Many people with ASD lack social skills and they feel different from others. This can lead to depression and self-isolation. There's also the sensory issues that are very uncomfortable and a pain to deal with. There's also meltdowns that come with ASD that can be overwhelming and a very awful thing to experience. That's just a few of the negatives. People with ASD have a lot of positive things about them. A lot of you probably wouldn't want to be cured of your ASD if a cure was developed because it's part of who you are. A lot of NTs only see the positive sides of ASD and don't realize just how hard it is to live with ASD. I'm glad people are becoming more open and accepting of ASD, but it can hurt people who have this because their struggles aren't taken seriously. They see it as a neat and quirky personality. 

Dr-David-Banner

I would appreciate your imput on MPD because I am not sure if the personalities can recall what each one did. I wanted to make a negative post about AS as I am tired of public distortion. I found it sometimes arises in criminal cases the same as MPD, schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder. Not that there is a connection to crime but every time a person with AS does "crack" (as Elliot Rodger), the entire AS community will deny said person already had a diagnosis. This ignores Hans Asperger who clearly listed "bottled up anger" as a symptom. This builds up maybe due to our non-aggressive nature which provokes bullying from others. At some point all that tension can just explode. Normally this is via self-harm but in rare cases the anger can explode externally. Needless to say I had to address my own bottled up anger and accept it was part of a disorder. 

Dr-David-Banner

I feel in some way I have more than one personality but this is complex. I grew up so inward that no specific gender ever became established. Finally I now realise how destabilising it can be when people struggle to relate to someone who is between gender. I can slip into my feminine personality often. I can also become the opposite. However I am aware of this and I figure, if anything, I fit depersonalisation more than disassociation. A psychologist also suspected depersonalisation. The truth is I read extensively on AS but I am limited on other forms of diagnosis. I clearly struggle to function in society but don't know what co-morbid conditions I may have. Although I struggle I would never just crack up as fortunately there are ways to manage AS.

Sofi

I'm not really following what you are trying to say. I was diagnosed with Autism (high functioning) as a young child, then was diagnosed with schizophrenia in my early twenties, when it commonly develops. I find them two very separate things - Autism is part of me whereas schizophrenia is a definite illness, like if I developed diabetes or something. 
There was a time when I was having symptoms of schizophrenia yet nobody knew because I think the negative symptoms (withdrawal, isolation, lack of self care, anger etc) do seem like autism. Although, now I can definitely differentiate between the two like if I'm having more schizophrenia symptoms, I know it's that or if I'm having sensory overload, I know it's autism. I don't really think like that though, I just live my life!

I hate the stigma surrounding schizophrenia. Very few people with schizophrenia are dangerous - they may only appear intimidating if you meet them during a psychotic episode in which case they are genuinely ill and mean no harm - they are probably more scared than you :( . Most people with schizophrenia lead happy, healthy and fulfilling lives, even holding down jobs and marriages etc. 

Dr-David-Banner

This was my point, Sofi. I agree with you as Brian Wilson is schizophrenic. Far from being dangerous Brian is a super gifted musician. Where we may disagree is you seem to view your autism as part of you but not schizophrenia? Yet what I want to say is that the actual studies of AS by the German neurologists do reveal a serious, often despairing condition. Modern psychologists allowed AS to morph into a "mild form of autism". This is not what Asperger observed. Those children would rock, sway, bang their heads and act unusual. They processed information differently. They were clumsy. So, over decades somehow AS has been airbrushed by over-emphasising all the positives but almost ignoring the darker side of psychopathy. Myself I don't see it as mild autism. Just having a normal IQ doesn't reduce the scale of the other traits which can make employment a nightmare. 

Dr-David-Banner

I just referenced schizoid personality disorder. It was mentioned to me on the Russian forum. The big difference for me is it stated those with SPD are not aware of the fact they act abnormally and can't form friendships - show feelings. Maybe this was accurate for me a decade ago but these days I know how normal should be. Still my point is if you told other people you had Asperger Syndrome the truth is it would not be a huge deal. It is perceived as just an unusual, geeky personality trait. On the other hand, if you told friends you were schizoid they would be very uneasy. And yet AS is most definitely a severe condition for many. It frequently comes with other conditions such as OCD or even dysmorphia. Here is how I feel about my AS: Dr Banner is a fictional character. He is a doctor and scientist. He was accidentally exposed to gamma radiation which meant anger could cause him to mutate into The Hulk. As a result Banner has to survive doing temp jobs as school gardener or zoo keeper. He can't just get a research job, marry and settle down. On a funny note when Banner does change his shirts split but his pants stay on. So, that's how it feels. No prospect of a normal life and just having the things normal people take for granted. Often getting strange looks. Yes, you can make friends but the very sad thing I found is your friends may one day feel awkward when their other friends question that friendship. You find a sudden freeze. There is one episode I loved where Dr Banner meets an Asperger female. She wants him to help her trace her mother. It was one episode that I tbought had special meaning.

Dr-David-Banner

By the way, as to MPD or Depersonalisation, what others describe doesn't fit my own experience. For me, derealisation is a sudden feeling of being totally cut off but not out of the body as others describe. It feels like not existing to other people all of a sudden but it only happens infrequently. The other symptom as it happens is feeling of changed perception where you feel alienated. This happens rarely but when it does it is very disturbing and leads to a week or so of withdrawel. I was shocked when I saw the movie Carnival Of Souls as the woman in it experienced just fading from reality as if becoming a ghost. I know with AS you get feelings of being ignored but not on that scale. So I am clueless as to what it is.