Aspergolfer

Mildly depressed, need encouragement

Aspergolfer

I'm slightly depressed. I'm so sick of bad news,  so sick of war and destruction,  so sick of disrespect for those in authority who do their jobs responsibility.  Where's a 200 mile wide asteroid when you need one?

Miss Chief

Perhaps stop watching the news? Who is disrespecting authority? Which authorities are doing their job well? To be honest I am not a big fan of authority (being a libertarian) so perhaps I am not the right person to post here. I also don't tend to get an emotional response to current affairs/news/politics, that isn't to say I don't find it interesting or frustrating or whatever but I don't tend to get upset or sad about it. Also I'm not sure wiping out all life on earth (a 200 mile asteroid would probably do that) is the right solution, wiping out humans might work but what did the cats/bears/rabbits etc. do? ;) 

Edited by Miss Chief

spiderwoman0_2

I very rarely watch the news, I hate politics and to be honest I don't give a shit about any of it, all I bother about is my kids and family and what bit of the house to decorate next.  Life is too short to think about all the sadness in the world, so stop thinking about it and do something that makes you happy :) 

Asgardian

I know what you mean. There is so much negativity these days. What I like to do is find an escapism which even just temporarily shuts out the real world. I like watching TV shows and films which are fictional, so things like superhero stuff, Star Wars, Doctor Who etc. Even if it is just for the time I am sat there watching them, it helps me to shut out the horrible stuff going on in the real world. As @spiderwoman0_2 said in the post above, do what makes you happy :)

Myrtonos
On 4/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Miss Chief said:

Perhaps stop watching the news?

I don't like the news, but my problem is not war or destruction, it is other changes that I resist.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Miss Chief said:

To be honest I am not a big fan of authority (being a libertarian) so perhaps I am not the right person to post here.

Could it be that even libertarians do often believe in authority over children, but not over adults?

Nesf

I generally want to know what's going on in the world, but find the the mass media portrayal is unnecessarily sensational and overdramatised. I don't appreciate the way they seek to manipulate my emotions - I'll have my own emotions and don't need them provided for me. There is sadness, cruelty and injustice in the world - I see it all around me, and I don't need a magnified version of it on TV. There is also kindness and happiness, so as much as I dislike the sadness I wouldn't want to wipe out the planet with an asteroid - that strikes me as extreme and unnecessary. An evil act to end all evil acts, that will also wipe out all that is good in the world as a side effect.

Aeolienne
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, Aeolienne said:

Have a read of Positive News😊

Alternatively, if you fancy a longer read, I can recommend Enlightenment Now: The case for reason, science, humanism and progress by Steven Pinker. Among the many graphs it contains is one plotting the negativity of US news reporting over the last century or so. There's been a noticeable decline in the positivity of news reports since the 1960s, bar a blip in the 80s.

Heather

I agree, there are so many bad things happening in the world. Also as others here have said, so many good things in the world.  I occasionally have waves of mild depression wash over me.  The depression I feel comes more from my immediate environment when I feel overwhelmed or say something that got a reaction that made me feel it might have been the wrong thing to say.  I get a  bit depressed watching the news, or thinking about how everywhere seems to be getting some kind of disaster and soon it could be happening in front of my eyes or happen to my parents or siblings or partner.  I guess I am fortunate in the sense that praying helps me calm down a bit, focusing on the fact that I believe in a higher power (God) being in control, despite the chaos around us.  Helping give me peace in the middle of chaos.  Sometimes it is more difficult to calm down than other times though.  And while in the middle of any depression, I know it is difficult to break free of the negativity.  A favourite TV show or book or movie or music could help, like others have alluded to?  Something positive hopefully. 

HalfFull

I just pick up the major new stories from my MSN homepage so I can find out the stories that are on every front page without becoming depressed. I just skim read those big stories for the jist. I know generally what's going on with Brexit. It'd be easier to solve a rubix cube than understand all that! The only problem is that nearly every time I click on to the Internet I see a photo of someone or other looking healthy but who has been taken away from us too soon! Its really not what I want to see as I navigate between my most visited sites.