Myrtonos

Difficulties with mandating the teaching of foreign languages

Myrtonos
On 6/23/2018 at 5:41 AM, HalfFull said:

Maybe they could make a compromise though that those really not interested instead do extra Maths or Science, or should Art, Drama and Music be made optional from age 11 too?

How about intercultural investigations as an alternative?

To understand better the difficulties I mentioned, read about donkey voting. If you know what that is, you'll understand that it comes from difficulties with compulsory voting, which also apply to compulsory teach of at least one foreign language during compulsory years of education.

Edited by Myrtonos

HalfFull

Not a bad idea but those learning the languages should have some sort of involvement in that. Eg, would have been pointless me learning French at school but not really being taught anything about France and other French speaking countries. Not that I know much about Quebec though.

Myrtonos

Okay, so I refereed to a difficulty with government mandation, this is particularly noticeable if the requirement is extended to home schooling. The law of some country or region within it states that all children must have formal education and one subject they must do is at least one language other than their own.

So if a given child is home schooled in that jurisdiction, which are they going to learn. Now if they go to a public school in that jurisdiction and that public school only teaches one of the officially licenced languages, that child learns which ever F.L (foreign language) subject is taught at that school.

Or if setting up a school in that jurisdiction, it raises the question of which officially licenced foreign language(s) to teach there.

But if instead the requirement is intercultural investigations and/or at least one foreign language, there isn't really the donkey's dilemma.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.