Sign in to follow this  
rainbow

got shouted at today

rainbow

i went to my friends 23rd birthday dinner, there was 4 of us there.

while I was at the dinner, there was a lot of talking going on back and forth across  the table and I find it hard to keep up. And there was loud music going off as well. 

I was feeling a bit down and angry inside. so I got up and said I am moving to the other end of the table to due to the noise and how it was making me feel.

I was ok after that.

Then later on in the day I got a phone call saying that was wrong of me to walk up and move, and also she told  not to talk about my Asperger's.

it as made me feel like I am a bad person and saying that I ruined my friends birthday which I did not.

• Sad 1

Sanctuary

I'm sorry to hear this rainbow. A lot of us have this problem with noise at parties and as you explained why you were moving places there shouldn't have been a problem. Was it your friend who later rang you? If so I would expect them to have a more supportive approach as they know your situation.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Nesf

No, there was nothing wrong with what you did, and I don't see how getting up and moving to the other end of the table is going to ruin her party.

This is something that I have done countless times... in fact, just about every time I go out with people, I end up moving due to my various sensory issues. People who know me, know that I do this, don't have a problem and don't question it.

• Like 1

Myrtonos

So, there are two replies here, both from people also on the spectrum who say there is nothing wrong with it. But if you were the only aspie at that party, maybe you need the perspective of someone not on the spectrum but still very precise.

What might @spiderwoman0_2 think? Apparently she's one of the few here not on the spectrum. She may have even lived through much of the time before the internet, when it was less common to hear about a non-celebrity one hadn't met in person, and even less common to interact with a non-celebrity without knowing them personally.

• Like 1

StarlessEclipse

She's not your friend.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it really is that simple. No one who truly cared about you could show such little empathy and understanding towards you in a moment of difficulty, especially after having been made aware of your condition. Whether you're content to settle for such company or you're worth more than that is your determination to make.

• Like 1