Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Distortion Of Asperger (the aftermath)

Dr-David-Banner

This pscychologist - an American called Kenneth Roberson seems to me to be very good. I included the link to his site:
"Asperger noticed that instead of engaging with what exists outside of them, the children he observed preferred to focus their attention inward, towards themselves. He described them as having, “a disturbance of the lively relationship with the whole environment.” They were not interested in directing their attention to what occurred around them, instead they paid attention mainly to their internal life, shutting off contact between themselves and the outside world.

It is not hard to imagine that when someone is fundamentally uninterested in the world around them, especially people, it becomes hard to conceive of how others think and feel and why they act as they do. A basic disturbance in understanding somebody else’s point of view, their attitudes and beliefs, is central to the problem of Asperger’s."

Dr-David-Banner

Lesser known symptoms Asperger noted but seldom mentioned. Asperger noted that mass jubilation and excitement, group celebration had a strange effect on his autistic children. They would become agitated, disturbed or possibly aggressive. They would pace up and down or fidget or stim. And this is quite correct. Today, surrounded by people I know well who were excited and jubilant over football, I became like a cat on hot bricks. Nervous, aggressive and fudgety. Another thing mentioned is fetish for objects. Asperger noted the children would literally hold onto an object and carry it about. No adult could remove the object. With me this recalls my weird fixation on luminous monsters. These were sold as toys in the past and were basically figures that glowed in the dark. These were, King Kong, The Mummy, Dracula, The Wolfman or even Frankenstein. At the same time I recall being a bit scared but just craved to collect these toys. I do in fact agree with Hans Asperger that there is in fact a dark side to the syndrome. I see no point in white-washing the condition so it somehow becomes "acceptable". On the contrary by acknowledging the negative traits you can at least gain perspective. The sadism and blood lust noted repeatedly by Asperger I put down to simply lack of instinctive ability to learn morals through parental role models. I mean autism means "autism" so we are as slow to acquire morals as we are to read, or catch a ball. Masturbation he mentions too with masturbation classed as a symptom of Aspergers. In those times masturbation was viewed as an abnormality. Psychologically it is harmless but can lead to difficulties with sex in later life. Perhaps normal people just get used to sex with someone else but now we enter the very tricky area of autistics and sex.