Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

What Is Autistic Psychopathy?

Dr-David-Banner

Well, actually it has nothing to do with the modern understanding. It was used in German and simply means the path of the mind is autistic. Perception of the world is from within and tends to exclude inclusion of other people. To understand it you need to realise abstract thinking is the root of the condition and is so extreme simple daily realities become removed and remote. Thus, instinctive, social norms are sort of eclipsed and the autist has to intellectualise what for others is instinctive. With autistic psychopathy comes physical clumsiness, poor gait, poor muscle tone, poor co-ordination. And learning disability at school because we can't process information in groups. Sensitivity to foods and fabrics on skin is evident in childhood. Voice is either monotone or maybe loud and conversation is one sided or maybe forced on others but with poor personal connection. Empathy is said to range between extremes of high or low. Either you feel too much emotion or not at all. Intellect is said to vary and also the severity of the condition. One interesting detail is you can't just choose the positive attributes and do away with the bad ones. The positive aspects exist as opposite poles to the negative. Thus, you can't get 12 positive volts to a bulb unless there is a negative. Lesser known symptoms are swearing or strong bonds to objects such as dolls. Very often sexual performance problems or low drive. Sensitivity to noise or rustles. For me though the core of autistic psychopathy is autism in the sense of learning delay and withdrawel. Normal people learn about the world collectively by sharing experiences with others. With A P you process everything inwardly. A bit like The Fool On The Hill.

Sofi

Isn't what you have described just Autism? It doesn't need to be called Autistic Psychopathy. I think that's a very old fashioned way to describing Autism. Psychopathy is a whole separate condition. 

• Like 1

Dr-David-Banner

Funnily enough, the modern definition of psychopath is what you'd find in a Columbo episode. Someone with a great job and excellent social skills but possibly insane and placing no value on life. However, the term "autistic psychopath", as used by Asperger just means the mind is wired inwardly. I've heard "autistic psychopathy" used in the past and thought it sounded a bit sinister. Language changes though. Other than that, I think the actual papers on autistic psychopathy are excellent and very thorough. Now that Asperger Syndrome has been removed altogether, my aim is to publish the whole autistic psychopathy diagnosis, just as it was.