StarlessEclipse

Do you consider yourself disabled?

StarlessEclipse

How much of a barrier is your autism to achieving your goals in life?

I'm not asking whether autism is a disability in a broader sense, I'm wondering whether you currently consider yourself disabled by your condition.

Has your view of this changed over the course of your life?

• Like 4

Miss Chief

I have never considered my autism to be a barrier to my goals. I also don't think of myself as disabled, if I were to think of myself as disabled it would be other conditions I have that would make me feel that way, my depression is pretty debilitating at times, I also have some physical issues (back and knee problems) that have an impact on what I can and can't do.

My AS and ADHD are just a part of who I am, I think of them more as aspects of my personality, I don't know who I would be if you took them away and while I was diagnosed with both later in life I definitely knew I was on the spectrum from my early teens and these are things that I was born with, they are just a part of me.

In some ways I even think of them as positives, I'm not saying there aren't clear downsides to the conditions but I've learned to overcome most of the big ones and I also have an edge over others in some ways, I can often see the big picture, I have a lateral viewpoint, I'm good at problem solving, I am always logical, I can often make the right choices when others struggle. I'm good at multitasking and/or hyperfocusing when I need to.

Overall it is my depression that has had a negative impact on my life, it's the reason I am not working at the moment, I lack motivation, I avoid things and I have no energy. Even with that I don't really think of myself as disabled but if I did it would be that condition that holds me back.

I know not everyone would agree with my opinion on this topic but that is how I feel.

Excellent question :)  

• Like 2

Peridot
10 hours ago, StarlessEclipse said:

How much of a barrier is your autism to achieving your goals in life?

I'm not asking whether autism is a disability in a broader sense, I'm wondering whether you currently consider yourself disabled by your condition.

Has your view of this changed over the course of your life?

I'm still not sure if I'm autistic or not. Once there was a psychological assessment I had to go through which was welfare related and they said that for now their diagnosis was autism and I said "what about me makes you think I'm possibly autistic?" and their answer was "everything". So according to them and a few other people I spoke to in the past I'm autistic but me, I'm still not sure.

I have no problem interpreting non verbal communication. I can read facial expressions. I don't get meltdowns. I don't really have much difficulty adapting to unexpected situations/changes.

In the past though I did have a lot of trouble socially but that has changed over time and I don't have any anxieties when it comes to that anymore. Certain situations still scare me but that's normal. I mean the company of loud, drunken, unhappy people would scare any normal person! ;)

When in the past I had trouble socially it was a huge problem and caused a lot of hesitation when it came to achieving my goals/going out and doing what I wanted to do. Huge barrier. Getting over that was essential in my case.

• Like 2

Heather

Good question. I saw it before but didn't have time to answer it. I decided to try answering it now.

I don't like to see autism as disability, although sometimes the anxiety I experience can be disabilitating and cause me to miss out on opportunities. Sometimes I can push through and that is a good feeling but other times I don't.  

To people I don't know well, I am afraid to mention autism in case people prejudge me based on that. If I say anything, I say I get anxiety because I feel most people can understand anxiety to a some degree at least. 

When I was first diagnosed at 16, I didn't know if I really had it or not as a lot of the info on the web was more male orientated and I didn't always identify as strongly. I have a better understanding now.

• Like 1

Dr-David-Banner
On Monday, September 03, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Miss Chief said:

I have never considered my autism to be a barrier to my goals. I also don't think of myself as disabled, if I were to think of myself as disabled it would be other conditions I have that would make me feel that way, my depression is pretty debilitating at times, I also have some physical issues (back and knee problems) that have an impact on what I can and can't do.

My AS and ADHD are just a part of who I am, I think of them more as aspects of my personality, I don't know who I would be if you took them away and while I was diagnosed with both later in life I definitely knew I was on the spectrum from my early teens and these are things that I was born with, they are just a part of me.

In some ways I even think of them as positives, I'm not saying there aren't clear downsides to the conditions but I've learned to overcome most of the big ones and I also have an edge over others in some ways, I can often see the big picture, I have a lateral viewpoint, I'm good at problem solving, I am always logical, I can often make the right choices when others struggle. I'm good at multitasking and/or hyperfocusing when I need to.

Overall it is my depression that has had a negative impact on my life, it's the reason I am not working at the moment, I lack motivation, I avoid things and I have no energy. Even with that I don't really think of myself as disabled but if I did it would be that condition that holds me back.

I know not everyone would agree with my opinion on this topic but that is how I feel.

Excellent question :)  

Do you connect emotionally with other people and feel you can be understood? Do you connect to your environment? I do not myself suffer depression now but I do suffer a kind of lethargy and believe it to be a symptom of not connecting. Normal people can share their emotions and feel included but isolation can affect other emotions. 

Dr-David-Banner

I am very much a minority I think as I sort of frown on the whole concept of autism = "help!". On the Russian forum I visit, it sort of gets up my nose we are supposed to seek help and take drugs or hormones to be "cured". As if nature never uses deviations in the evolutionary process. Despite being unemployable for the most part, I consider I perform perfectly fine in the narrower spheres of my interests. I choose not to accept at face value the ethics of societies that judge value and worth on the basis of income, wealth or popularity. So, realistically I accept my practical limitations but am very confident in my deviating identity. I am also maybe too harsh on others who seem to put their faith in so-called normal people to somehow remedy the situation. I mean, why not just allow the differences to develop?On the Russian forum I must be the only autistic adult not to post threads about what medicines to try to attain normality. As if neurotypicals are superior. There's a famous quote by Nichola Tesla who was the world's greatest electrical inventor. He stated being alone and apart is what drives imagination and creativity. Tesla was known to have OCD.