Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Non Autistic Psychopaths

Dr-David-Banner

I'm studying the possibility the autistic psychopaths studied by Asperger do after all have a connection to non autistic psychopaths. First of all, we need to consider actual psychopaths are not killers out of Bond movies. They may well hurt others emotionally due to lack of empathy but many psychopaths are not evil people. The traits of similarity I notice are narcissism, special interests, high functioning intellect, robotic voice and lack of emotion. Above all lack of empathy. Also maybe lack of team mentality. Yet the big difference is psychopaths are able to bond with others at a superficial level, be polite and not rock the social boat. Autistic psychopaths lack the ability to build social bridges and have motor issues such as clumsiness. Yet these latter described by Asperger in his Psychopathy In Childhood share traits such as narcissism, low empathy, monotone voice and super focus on special interest. Maybe the question I want to explore is does psychopathy have more in common with Asperger's research than we were led to believe? Decades ago the two disorders were distinguished by the term "avoidant". The avoidant psychopaths shut themselves inwards and were more at odds with the outside world. Whereas extrovert psychopaths struggled with issues such as empathy but connected better to the outside world. It may well be the pioneers of psychopathy research addressed these issues more bluntly. 

Dr-David-Banner

All these issues are under exploration on my website but as it's in Russian I needn't post a link. Opinions may change as the site develops along various lines.

Dr-David-Banner

The term psychopath appears to have been distorted by popular interpretation. The very famous movie Psycho which scared audiences to death in 1960, actually dealt with MPD. I am not sure much was known about MPD in the sixties. To my mind anyway the biggest stumbling block in any diagnosis is empathy. This is what makes psychologists uneasy or maybe confused. They expect people to bond closely with others or show intimacy and feeling. They assume if you do not then you fall into some sort of risk factor zone. Pretty much most autistic psychopaths show very little emotion. Or in my view they may overflow with emotion and feel very strongly on occasion. I was in a debate where we discussed what diagnosis Mr Spock might have. He was based on some kind of psychopathy in the Star Trek series. All posters excluded actual psychopathy but felt Spock made a great autistic psychopath. Tough  question. Spock was very confident and in control. He was non threatening but totally removed from emotions. The reason people excluded the psychopath component is these latter are associated with lust for power, megalomania and crime. Yet a real life psychopath may be a highly driven individual with a strong enough sense of ethics to get analysed for Alexithymia.