RiRi

Is there any correct ASD depiction on shows?

RiRi

I've watched several ASD shows and most of them seem to portray ASD incorrectly. Like, they put a character who talks in a robotic-monotonic manner, someone who screams when overwhelmed by things, and needs to be hugged tightly. Are they just putting severe cases of ASD? It's annoying that I can't relate to any of the characters with ASD because I don't do much of the things these characters do. :wacko: I wish they had a more varied depiction of ASD. Some of the characters seem so dumb and annoying, to be honest. Why aren't shows depicting ASD correctly? I mean, one of the characters reminded me of one of our members but I was like, "That's so not me." 

Edited by RiRi

Heather

I know what you mean. I feel the same way sometimes. I think there are at least two reasons why I haven't seen a depiction that I can relate to a lot. 1) most of the characters with ASD are male and males exhibit symptoms differently. 2) every person with ASD is different so I'm sure I won't see a depiction that I will 100% identify with. And 3) for shows and movies, going more extreme generally works better to get the point across. I think sometimes traits are exaggerated because of this.

Despite this, I am excited for more Atypical to see how they play out his character. I really want to buy "Please stand by" as it has a female with autism, It looks more severe too but I'm still interested.  I'm waiting a bit to see if the price will go down or go on special or it goes on Netflix. I may just buy it sometime regardless.  I really enjoyed the movie "Adam" with it's portrayal of a man with autism. I felt I could relate to some things, especially to one scene in particular, I don't want to necessarily spoil it incase someone on this site hasn't seen it but wants to.

I haven't seen much of the TV show Bones but apparently the female main character has autism. I'm not sure the show interests me though so that's why I haven't seen it.

I think the more they incorporate autistic characters into shows, the more likely one day we'll both find characters to relate to more.

StormCrow
On 11/3/2018 at 11:15 AM, Heather said:

I know what you mean. I feel the same way sometimes. I think there are at least two reasons why I haven't seen a depiction that I can relate to a lot. 1) most of the characters with ASD are male and males exhibit symptoms differently. 2) every person with ASD is different so I'm sure I won't see a depiction that I will 100% identify with. And 3) for shows and movies, going more extreme generally works better to get the point across. I think sometimes traits are exaggerated because of this.

Despite this, I am excited for more Atypical to see how they play out his character. I really want to buy "Please stand by" as it has a female with autism, It looks more severe too but I'm still interested.  I'm waiting a bit to see if the price will go down or go on special or it goes on Netflix. I may just buy it sometime regardless.  I really enjoyed the movie "Adam" with it's portrayal of a man with autism. I felt I could relate to some things, especially to one scene in particular, I don't want to necessarily spoil it incase someone on this site hasn't seen it but wants to.

I haven't seen much of the TV show Bones but apparently the female main character has autism. I'm not sure the show interests me though so that's why I haven't seen it.

I think the more they incorporate autistic characters into shows, the more likely one day we'll both find characters to relate to more.

Sort of related, but I started watching Atypical, and I just found out in season two (S2E4) that the main character lives in my state. Just thought that was nifty and had to share.

Anyway, I agree that entertainment always exaggerates everything.   

Heather

@StormCrow that's exciting. I forget where they live, i guess it is time for a rewatch! I admit I also get excited when a character is from somewhere close to me. If it is an American show, i get excited whenever they mention Canada. 😄

UltraAspie76

I have been loving the show "The Good Doctor."  He is a surgical resident with autism.  I was hesitant to watch it at first.  I wasn't sure how they would portray him.  I must say that I am extremely impressed with the show and his character.  I know everyone is different but I can relate to him very well.  He certainly has his hurdles in every episode from understanding cues, social relations, sensory overload, and preoccupations.  He also is extremely blunt communicating.  All in all, it's very realistic and down to earth.  He has a photoidentic recall of everything he reads.  This almost portrays him as a superhero but he struggles with so many common issues that it keeps him grounded. He is a very good role model as well.

I've watched every episode and I love it.  The main character is also a producer of the show so I don't anticipate Hollywood ruining it either.

My main goal is to get my wife interested so that she could see my perspective on things.  I was diagnosed in 2013 and was 37.  I was in the military as well and that presented its own struggles.  My diagnosis was an answer, like everyone says, but accepting it and realizing it took a while.  All in all I'm glad I know why I act this way but it's still been hard on all of us.  It has been a tight balance to accept how I act but also accept me to improve on coping with struggles.  My wife and family have been extremely accommodating of my insecurities while inspiring me to improve. 

Myrtonos

Maybe @RiRi should have reacted to the post right above mine.

Heather

@UltraAspie76  That's good to know about the Good Doctor. I think it looks really good. I only wish it was on Netflix.  It is one of the shows that I wish I had a regular TV package for!  I'll consider buying the DVD for the show when it's out because I think I'll enjoy it. 

RiRi
13 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

Maybe @RiRi should have reacted to the post right above mine.

No, I gave the like to the person I wanted to give the like to, you. 

RiRi

The show I was originally talking about in the OP was Grey's Anatomy. It was a new character they had added to the show. She was one of the best doctors in her field but wouldn't do things unless it was in the rules, written down. Like, a family had requested something and she didn't want to do it because it wasn't in the rules. So other NT doctors had to tell her it was in the rules in order for her to abide. She would talk very monotonic and would say inappropriate things at the wrong time. Like, there was a dying person and they needed to ask for the organs in a sensible manner. She was as if she didn't care that the person had just died and just wanted the organs. She would get overwhelmed when too many people were around and would just scream, wouldn't say anything just scream and then she needed a tight hug to get back to her normal state.