RiRi

Is there any correct ASD depiction on shows?

RiRi
On 11/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, Heather said:

Despite this, I am excited for more Atypical to see how they play out his character. I really want to buy "Please stand by" as it has a female with autism, It looks more severe too but I'm still interested.  I'm waiting a bit to see if the price will go down or go on special or it goes on Netflix. I may just buy it sometime regardless. 

I recently started watching autism related movies and the second one I finished watching today "Please Stand By" starring Dakota Fanning. I didn't even realize that you had talked about it here, it didn't ring a bell when I read it I guess since I hadn't heard it before. I googled "autistic movies" and when I saw Dakota Fanning, I was like, "I'm definitely watching it." It was such a great and touching movie. :( I could relate to some of the symptoms but they are definitely exaggerated. That's why I came back to this thread to see if other people had said there have been correct depictions. I also wondered why they exaggerate stuff. I wondered if it was because if they put a person like me or you, that people will just think, "That person's not autistic. That person's just quirky or weird." I guess you answered my question there. 

On 11/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, Heather said:

And 3) for shows and movies, going more extreme generally works better to get the point across. I think sometimes traits are exaggerated because of this.

That sucks if this is the reason they exaggerate. What are your thoughts to the reason I think they don't depict a person like me or you. Do you think it's possible that that's why they pick more severe cases? 

I did relate to Wendy for crossing the street. They emphasized that crossing the street is difficult for some people on the spectrum. That's me, even with the lights on, it's hard though. So her crossing the street issue isn't as severe as mine. 

I definitely recommend watching the movie though, I thought it was great. 

Heather

@RiRi I finally watched ' Please Stand By ' a little while ago. I really enjoyed it too, very emotional. There were parts I could relate to but lots I couldn't.  I understand why they have to use more extreme cases when making a movie.  

For people like you and me, it would be more difficult because if they say we are autistic, people might be more likely to criticize the character for not being autistic enough and just being a quirky normal person.  And a lot of the traits are too quirky or weird for most normal characters to have.  So I tend to find solace in similar traits to me in multiple characters. 

I think it's this way for most people, I don't think anyone would find themselves completely in a character unless it was based on their life.  Since all autistic people are different, it is likely that I will never find a character exactly like me.

I like the fact that Wendy knitted because I crochet and they are similar. Although I would have liked it more if she crocheted.  Though mostly I like seeing anxiety portrayed on the big screen.  I want to watch the movie a second time so I can make better note of the scenes that I identify with most.  Maybe I'll try watching it again this coming weekend.  I watched it with my partner and I know there were a few times he noted that was similar to something I've done in the past.  I forget what they were now.

HalfFull

They probably don't ever get it quite right, but has anyone ever watched The Gilmore Girls? Nearly everyone seems Aspie on that, even though nobody is cast as an Aspie character. They may just have inadvertently created some realistic Aspies - quite without meaning to :)

Heather

@HalfFull It is interesting that you mention Gilmore Girls. I have enjoyed that show since 2005 but wouldn't have made the connection initially. I know I've identified with characters every now and then, probably why I like the show. It started with Rory because I aspired to be like her. But over time other characters drew my attention more. 

I'll think about this some more in the coming days and see what further conclusions I can think of.

RiRi

I've never seen Gilmore Girls but if they did depict aspies there without meaning to, it means they think those behaviors are within the normal spectrum and not autistic. 

I started watching the show suggested by someone in this thread, The Good Doctor and I only saw the first few minutes and I already like the show. Except, I get the feeling that this guy will be a savant and I've yet to meet someone who is as smart as him who is also autistic. I relate to Wendy in the Please Stand By in the sense that she is smart but isn't necessarily a savant. 

Heather

I re-watched "Please Stand By" yesterday. I liked seeing how Wendy dealt with the anxiety and pushed through it because of how badly she wanted to enter the contest.  She was very resourceful when she was faced with something she really wanted to do.  I can identify because of times when I pushed past anxiety because of how badly I felt I needed to do something.  I always end up weighing the options, pushing past versus going back.  

Also, if anyone has an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis on Gilmore Girls, it would probably be Kirk, he has an obvious lack of a lot of social understanding and life skills.  Luke could also be seen as on the spectrum, perhaps, as he is portrayed as anti-social.  Lorelai and Rory have a high interest in films and music, it could border on the obsessiveness of special interest.  I can definitely see some autistic traits in the characters but is it enough for a diagnosis, I'm not sure. I would have to grab a list of the traits and compare them to the traits of each character but I'm not sure when I will have time for that.  Or perhaps there is already a list out there somewhere on the internet someone has come up with.  I tried a quick search but didn't come up with anything that remarkable.

Edited by Heather

RiRi

I finished the first episode of The Good Doctor. I can relate to his sincereness, I don't think he's blunt. I've always associated that word with having a negative connotation. Because a person can be sincere or share what's in their mind without being rude. 

@Heather How are your meltdowns? Are they any close to Wendy's meltdown? Or have your worst meltdowns ever come close to hers? 

Sanctuary

Communication problems, literal-mindedness, social blunders, excessive bluntness / honesty (even insensitivity), anxiety, obsessiveness - all these are common subjects of comedy. They are all also commonly (stereotypically) associated with autism. Sometimes a number of these characteristics are wrapped-up in a particular character and we might wonder whether he or she is supposed to be autistic. The great majority of times this isn't the case - the writers just see the comic potential in these sorts of characteristics. I'm not sure if there's ever been a comedy character in TV or film who has been explicitly identified as autistic on screen (although in some instances there may be very strong evidence to that effect). Perhaps mentioning the word "autism" in a comedy would be seen as almost making things too serious or the writers might be worried viewers might think they're having a dig at people with autism. Drama gives more scope to identify characters as autistic but I agree that depictions are almost always stereotypical. The writers may feel they have to do this because most viewers don't know much about autism and need the characteristics highlighted but it still doesn't do justice to the variety on the autistic spectrum. 

Heather
6 hours ago, RiRi said:

@Heather How are your meltdowns? Are they any close to Wendy's meltdown? Or have your worst meltdowns ever come close to hers? 

I can relate to her anxiety when she was calculating that if she sent her script by mail it would not get to paramount in time. I can't think of when I felt like the way she did but it was very deja vu. 

Usually meltdowns for me end up including tears/crying and an intense desire to get away from the situation, sometimes just hiding under a blanket if I am at home. Though it is hard to say and I don't like talking about my difficulties haha.

RiRi

@Heather Oh okay, that's okay you don't want to talk about that. Thanks for sharing some stuff. I guess her mini meltdowns I can relate to too. I'm glad she never gave up. She did run into many obstacles. And she did not break down. I thought she would but she managed not to. 

Has anyone seen Violet Evergarden? I just remembered her and I suddenly just thought, she seems autistic! I don't think the producers meant to portray her like that or maybe they did it unintentionally because there's no mention of her having AS or ASD on Wikipedia but there is a lot of people talking about her on Reddit and them thinking she comes across autistic.