Myrtonos

Courtesy email

RiRi
On 3/11/2019 at 9:09 PM, Myrtonos said:

Isn't it good for the staff here to know the real names of the posters?

I assume the majority of the most prominent members here have given @Willow their real names one time or another, not as a courtesy email perhaps, but may be because of donations or purchases. I don't think Willow will be disclosing that information to the rest of the members, though. 

Myrtonos

Of course, Willow won't be disclosing that information. But as the site owner, she could, if she wished, ask new members to provide her with their real names, asking those who don't even want her to know to not join.

RiRi
2 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

Of course, Willow won't be disclosing that information. But as the site owner, she could, if she wished, ask new members to provide her with their real names, asking those who don't even want her to know to not join.

What do you mean ask them not to join? You mean, she could ask for people's names and if they don't, don't let them join? 

Why is this important? Why are you so concerned about this? 

Myrtonos
4 minutes ago, RiRi said:

You mean, she could ask for people's names and if they don't, don't let them join? 

Well, if one isn't bound to accept anyone on one's own site, one could decide to only allow those to provide the site owner with details such as real names.

Nesf
2 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

Well, if one isn't bound to accept anyone on one's own site, one could decide to only allow those to provide the site owner with details such as real names.

Well yes, she could if she wanted to, but doesn't. So it's not a requirement for this site, and therefore not an issue. I have come across an autism site where the owner insisted on the member displaying their real name. The site is now closed.

HalfFull

In the UK, there is new legislation which drastically restricts use of personal data. I run a website where we used to require at least the first name but now not even that. I think transparency is good in some ways but bad in others. I must have joined dozens of sites at one time and it may be a good thing if not all owners know who I am. I did actually make my true identity known to Willow early on because of my website and books, but I see no reason that everyone needs to do it. I think making a one-off suggestion to a site owner is fine, but its for them to decide what to do with their site, and as I say due to the new legislation I'm not sure Willow is even allowed to ask for this information even if she wanted to.