Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Willow

Routine Changes

Willow

Does anyone have a good strategy for changing your routine successfully? 

Ben

I ditched the whole "routine" concept years ago. It's even more important now that it has ever been to keep on moving - what with the ENORMOUS and continuous  evolution with technology, and the way in which we live our lives. (2009 wasn't that long ago, and the iPhone4 was still a year away - just think of how far we've travelled since then.)

I guarantee you, that Ten years from now, you won't hear anyone say "just popping to the shop dear for a loaf of bread" because that shop would have been taken over by an android app. Don't bother trying to go to that same shop for a pint of standard milk either, because the vegan/environmentalist movement is STRONG. Even as a dairy farmer, I'm aware that what I'm actually doing is an inefficient method of sourcing food in the 21st century. It's all about sustainability, so I suspect to see even more food alternatives  through the genetic selection and modification of crop growth - (imagine a plant based milk product with an even greater amino acid profile than animal milk, that has an almost infinite shelf life and is actually cheaper to produce - personally? I can see it happening.) 

All of that aside though, I'm just quick to get bored. For me, routine IS depression. Living in the moment, though moving with the times is the only way I want to live. I don't want to kill my mind with repetition. I'd rather walk into a new situation terrified than exist in a daily ritual bored out of my mind.  

Willow

@Ben I agree with you, I do prefer to live in the moment and do things spontaneously. 

However, I do have a timetable to stick to with University, and it was more that kind of routine I was asking about. When that kind of routine, that’s out of our control, gets changed, how do people cope settling in to the new routine? It takes me a long time to feel like I’ve nailed all aspects of a routine, then when it changes so suddenly I’m completely at a loss.

Heather

It is difficult when a routine changes until I learn how to adapt to it and get used to it.

I think it varies from situation to situation unfortunately and time might be the common ingredient to adjusting to a new routine. It takes time to feel like the new routine is the usual routine.

PandaPrincess

I struggle daily because my job as a substitute teacher means that my routine is different every day.  I've been having a lot of bowel problems because any time I get anxious, instead of throwing up, I just have to go poop really bad lol.  I always think about what's for dinner throughout the day because that's one thing that is a stable part of my routine and I can control.  When I was at uni, the routine didn't change that much.  Class may have been cancelled once in a while, but when that happened, I just used the extra time to get school work finished, and I watched tv.

Willow
6 hours ago, Heather said:

It is difficult when a routine changes until I learn how to adapt to it and get used to it.

I think it varies from situation to situation unfortunately and time might be the common ingredient to adjusting to a new routine. It takes time to feel like the new routine is the usual routine.

I think you may be right there. I guess I'll just give myself some time to get used to things - and hope they don't change again before hand!

6 hours ago, PandaPrincess said:

I struggle daily because my job as a substitute teacher means that my routine is different every day.  I've been having a lot of bowel problems because any time I get anxious, instead of throwing up, I just have to go poop really bad lol.  I always think about what's for dinner throughout the day because that's one thing that is a stable part of my routine and I can control.  When I was at uni, the routine didn't change that much.  Class may have been cancelled once in a while, but when that happened, I just used the extra time to get school work finished, and I watched tv.

That sounds difficult :( Props to you for coping with it though! Food is always a good constant to focus on, I agree with you there haha. I plan my days around food 🤣

I wish my Uni would stop making so many changes haha, but it's the first year the campus has been open so they're still figuring things out I think.

Sanctuary

There's no doubt that these changes in routine, e.g. a change in timetable, can be very hard to deal with. Sometimes they occur with immediate effect with no time to prepare or they are really major changes that are very disruptive. As mentioned above sometimes we need not be so hard on ourselves and accept that these changes are harder for us to deal with than for other people. If an organisation or employer knows that someone has autism they should be trying to make allowances in these cases - avoiding these changes altogether, phasing them in or offering support to help them manage the change. It's worth asking them about whether any of these things are possible. Even if the changes have to occur they can take into account the greater impact. The biggest problems are for those on the spectrum who are not diagnosed (or don't know they have autism) or who are diagnosed but haven't declared it. in these cases they will be expected to cope just as well as their neurotypical counterparts and may be subjected to negative judgement. Therefore it's best to alert those in charge to the issues so they can take them into consideration.

Nesf

I make a weekly timetable for myself, and also have a weekly diary or planner, I look to see when my lessons are and plan everything around those - when I eat, when I cook and go shopping, etc. I set myself alarms if I have to get up early or do something at an unusual time, or I write post-it notes  and keep all these on my dest where they are visible.

The first couple of weeks of a new term are stressful and can feel very chaotic, but I do eventually settle into the routine.

RiRi

@Willow You can input your schedule into your electronic calendar so that every time they change something you input it to the calendar. And if you want a more visual thing you can also print the calendar every month or week, whatever you choose, and post it somewhere where you'll see it. This is important, to be able to see the calendar (whether electronic or visual). Or get a dry erase calendar and input all the things you need to do there manually and change or add things if you need to. You can include two months at the same time in these things, as times passes on, whatever you want. And it's fun to do that, at least for me it was. Also, you can send text notifications and emails to yourself if you want. And you can choose how many days/hours/minutes you want these notifications sent. This helped me my last days at uni. 

Aspergolfer

I like routine, especially at work. Have X number of carts pulled up at X time, flags and coolers out on the course at X time, pull up enough carts to last until closer comes in. After that, pick the range and wash balls. All need to be done by 12:30PM at the latest.