Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Why are people so annoying?

Dr-David-Banner

Usually I rely on public libraries for access to internet although I have a mobile phone too. To get to the point, though, I am amazed how irritating people are, when they sit next to you. I'm also astonished by the seeming scale of problematic behaviour associated with digital dependency. Also infuriating is the fact signs are put up but mostly ignored. Here are the things that annoy me:.(1) People forcing their mobile phone discussions on you in areas where you prefer less noise. Sure, 2 minutes is OK but one girl pretty much yells out her business over 20 minutes. Usually trivial stuff.(2) People who seem to think everybody should be aware they are watching cartoons. In such cases they laugh endlessly and loudly. There was one jerk who would sit with a dazed, glassy expression laughing repeatedly but clearly not bothered who could hear. (3) Jumping up and down. There were three Koreans who simultaneously used their phones with the computers they all sat around. The youngest would jump in his seat. On one occasion, he lay on the floor on his back, kicked his legs about and stared at the screen. (4) Anti-social vocalisations. This includes heavy breathing, loud gasps, snorting or chomping. (5) Major body odour. One oldish guy is so bad half of the building will be vacated.

What annoys me most is most of this stuff has a solution. Block games from access and encourage educational use. Make users agree to a set of basic rules. Fortunately I now learn politicians are being forced to introduce new legislation. It seems there is now clear evidence of mental health risks to children through prolonged mobile phone and internet use.

Edited by Dr-David-Banner

RiRi

I have felt similar to you a lot of times. Exactly almost of everything that you are saying, I would be annoyed about. I feel like NTs have little to no mindfulness of other people, maybe we are better than they are at this, which in the world we live in could be a bad thing because it seems to me that on a general whole, people don't care about other people but themselves. So if you're an aspie who is mindful of other people, you are stuck receiving sh*t from their end and not giving any back to them in return.

I'm always aware of what I might be doing that might bother other people. Like, making too much noise in the library, jumping up and down, etc. all of those would be no no's for me. I wouldn't engage in those behaviors because I just think it'd be disrespectful and distracting to other people. I think the word is being mindful of other people, I think NTs are lacking in this area. 

RiRi

Like the other day, I went to eat and after I was finished eating, I actually picked up after myself, which is what I generally do if I am given the chance. But there were some assholes who finished eating and just left without picking up after themselves. How rude. Maybe it's not just NTs who do this, maybe it's just people who are not mindful of other people.

Ben

I am never without headphones. NEVER. 

People may be annoying, but people also invented Spotify. 

Nesf

Because they are selfish, wrapped up in themselves and whatever they are doing and that's where their world stops - everything else, including other people, is not on the radar.

Max000
12 hours ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

Usually I rely on public libraries for access to internet although I have a mobile phone too. To get to the point, though, I am amazed how irritating people are, when they sit next to you. I'm also astonished by the seeming scale of problematic behaviour associated with digital dependency. Also infuriating is the fact signs are put up but mostly ignored. Here are the things that annoy me:.(1) People forcing their mobile phone discussions on you in areas where you prefer less noise. Sure, 2 minutes is OK but one girl pretty much yells out her business over 20 minutes. Usually trivial stuff.(2) People who seem to think everybody should be aware they are watching cartoons. In such cases they laugh endlessly and loudly. There was one jerk who would sit with a dazed, glassy expression laughing repeatedly but clearly not bothered who could hear. (3) Jumping up and down. There were three Koreans who simultaneously used their phones with the computers they all sat around. The youngest would jump in his seat. On one occasion, he lay on the floor on his back, kicked his legs about and stared at the screen. (4) Anti-social vocalisations. This includes heavy breathing, loud gasps, snorting or chomping. (5) Major body odour. One oldish guy is so bad half of the building will be vacated.

What annoys me most is most of this stuff has a solution. Block games from access and encourage educational use. Make users agree to a set of basic rules. Fortunately I now learn politicians are being forced to introduce new legislation. It seems there is now clear evidence of mental health risks to children through prolonged mobile phone and internet use.

That is one of the reasons  I stopped going to libraries over 20 years ago. I have never used libraries for internet access. I do that at home, or if I'm traveling in my car or hotel room. Before I got internet access, libraries were important to me for research  purposes. But since I do that on the internet now, I really don't have any reason to go to libraries. Back in the days when I did spend a lot of time in libraries,  I tended to pick out my reading material and then go to some isolated out of the way part of the library, where there were few people. So it wasn't usually a problem.

Where I live, there has been new legislation to enforce library rules too. From what I read, the police department is now in charge  of enforcing library rules. Since I don't like police, that is just one more reason not to even step foot in a library. I think the entire concept of libraries is outdated. 

RiRi
21 hours ago, Ben said:

That reminds of an autistic movie I saw yesterday. You would share the symptom of the main character, who was always wearing either earphones or earplugs.

I could never do that in public. There is just too much going on, I'm scared of missing something but it might work for @Dr-David-Banner. I wonder who else wears earphones when they're outside. I think a good amount of people here do. I'm probably the exception but I also wonder who else doesn't, maybe @Dr-David-Banner.

Dr-David-Banner

I am indeed very sensitive to noise. In fact it's important to consider the effects of the noise around you. I learned that what you take in externally (for example, alarms, bells, shouting and overall noise) seems to have a negative effect. How do people think? Sometimes you need quiet even for emotional health. To be honest the stuff I described above really bothers me and I don't view it as at all positive. Psychologists are now finally admitting digital dependence is causing mental health problems which they say is a gradual process. All the time I see children kicking, jumping and twitching while absorbed in games or adults laughing like zombies. Only one woman from Pakistan is doing maths  as something educational. Pretty much all others come to shout out their business on mobile phones, sing or hum (flat, to the bargain) or somehow seem to draw attention to themselves. 

Nesf
10 hours ago, RiRi said:

I wonder who else wears earphones when they're outside.

I do :)

StormCrow
On 2/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, Ben said:

Last Sunday was the first time I wore my earbuds (connected to my phone) for almost a full day. I ended up sorting three spaces in my house listening to Tribal Fusion (I don't know what you call it, it's like ancient music mixed with Trance Techno).

I wish I could listen to podcasts or maybe music (with headphones/earbuds) at work, but the guy I work (Painting houses) with is always randomly saying something (a lot of it is useless chat) and I need to hear whats happening around me.