Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
StrongMermaid

Work efficiency

StrongMermaid

Does anyone have any ideas for how to be more efficient at work? I am doing an internship in a nursing home as an occupational therapy assistant in which efficiency is important but difficult.

RiRi

What do they mean by efficiency? Do they mean they want the patient to be ready quickly? Or do they mean doing your job and staying on task? 

I feel like for occupational therapy it would be difficult and also depending on what occupational therapy you're doing. Whether it's for physical or mental. 

Or maybe they mean that you have to learn everything extremely fast? 

RiRi

I don't know if I would ask them what do they mean by work efficiency. I think I'd be too scared because what if they think I'm stupid  for not knowing what they meant. Even though, people use the same word to mean different things. Can you go to their website, maybe they have some information in their mission statement? 

Sanctuary

While I think what we broadly mean as "efficiency" is well-understood what always needs to be clarified is how it is going to be measured or assessed, e.g. there may be an expectation to complete an assignment, consultation or task in a certain amount of time, or to do so many tasks per hour, day or week. Such figures though always need to show flexibility and sensitivity, especially in a care environment as pace should not be at the expense of the quality of care and making service users feel valued. There also needs to be an expectation that someone new to the job will be slower or "less efficient" than a more experienced worker. I would certainly ask for guidelines how your efficiency will be judged. Good training and clear instructions and guidelines are necessary for greater efficiency and good performance in general. Working with more experienced colleagues and seeing how they operate will be useful and should be provided by the employer. As regards consultations it's certainly possible to move things along more quickly without sacrificing quality of care and support, e.g. by being more assertive while remaining polite and sensitive, combining talk with the task rather than talking beforehand, making sure any required resources are readily to hand. All these things take time to learn but with good support and experience greater efficiency and greater performance generally are very attainable. 

Edited by Sanctuary

Nesf

Difficult to answer without having personal experience of the kind of work you are doing, also 'efficient' is a bit vague. I would ask your supervisor or colleagues for advice on how to be more efficient, or to give you a clearer idea of what is expected of you.

StormCrow

For an OT, just tell everyone to  do Tai Chi.

I don't think you can be more efficient at a OT job. Unless you spend a lot of the time talking instead of doing work (which is actually good for people)