Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

An Ironic Twist

Dr-David-Banner

In an ironic twist, a hotel that failed me on a work-trial around 2001, has re-invented itself. As I recall, my difficulty in recognising faces created problems and I was packed off after a week. I was distraught too as back then I had no knowledge of Asperger. Anyway, I am amazed that this once relatively posh hotel is now a refuge for homeless families. Not that I'm gloating in any way. It's just abundantly clear times have  changed. The same job centres that put me on a work trial have more recently cut people off unemployment and housing allowance. So councils are putting these homeless families in the hotel. Possibly lawyers have found a regulation that forces councils to act. None of it makes sense as the hotel fees probably exceed former benefit costs.Also just to add that, given I'm scruffy and shabby, a working girl approached and took me for a homeless hotel lodger. After a chat I then found out from her what was going on. Beyond that shoplifting is rife. Police can't keep up with the daily thefts I learned cost a billion to retail in stolen food. And let's not forget the banks. All the former small town banks closed down so you have to travel to the main one. My opinion is politicians need to understand how technology has eroded a system based on employment so there is simply not the demand to provide enough work. Many of my friends are very employable but this is mostly retail. The skilled technical workers such as tv repairs seem to have vanished as a class. I suspect too lots of academics are reduced in number. All the huge factories where people painted figures or produced tires are long gone. Clearly.cheap imports, internet sales, globalisation and automatisation make the current system unsustainable. 

Dr-David-Banner
1 minute ago, Dr-David-Banner said:

In an ironic twist, a hotel that failed me on a work-trial around 2001, has re-invented itself. As I recall, my difficulty in recognising faces created problems and I was packed off after a week. I was distraught too as back then I had no knowledge of Asperger. Anyway, I am amazed that this once relatively posh hotel is now a refuge for homeless families. Not that I'm gloating in any way. It's just abundantly clear times have  changed. The same job centres that put me on a work trial have more recently cut people off unemployment and housing allowance. So councils are putting these homeless families in the hotel. Possibly lawyers have found a regulation that forces councils to act. None of it makes sense as the hotel fees probably exceed former benefit costs.Also just to add that, given I'm scruffy and shabby, a working girl approached and took me for a homeless hotel lodger. After a chat I then found out from her what was going on. Beyond that shoplifting is rife. Police can't keep up with the daily thefts I learned cost a billion to retail in stolen food. And let's not forget the banks. All the former small town banks closed down so you have to travel to the main one. My opinion is politicians need to understand how technology has eroded a system based on employment so there is simply not the demand to provide enough work. Many of my friends are very employable but this is mostly retail. The skilled technical workers such as tv repairs seem to have vanished as a class. I suspect too lots of academics are reduced in number. All the huge factories where people painted figures or produced tires are long gone. Clearly.cheap imports, internet sales, globalisation and automatisation make the current system unsustainable. 

Tonight I found a friend with clinical OCD is in the hotel. He was hospitalised for some weeks and now officially homeless. I guess the rooms are nice but maybe some lodgers with drug issues possibly. My grandad worked all his life in one formerly posh hotel where he met all the stars. That includes The Beatles, Norman Wisdom, Ken Dodd and so on. Back then.there was loads of industry and large shops. Few people were homeless.