Scheduled Live-streams Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Smiling To Fit In

Dr-David-Banner
5 hours ago, HalfFull said:

I believe that often, people in Victorian photographs were not smiling simply because they couldn't tell which moment the photograph would be taken and they couldn't keep the smile going for long enough. My brother took a photo of me years ago by the fountains at Alnwick Gardens, so a great setting and I did actually smile, but he took so long to finally press the button that my neutral expression had returned. For some time it was the only recent photo I had available to use as my online avatar and I got comments like "You're way too serious for one so young". Frustrating considering I went to all that effort to smile for the camera.

I don't think I can smile at all. In fact, I very definitely have some emotional disorder which makes it often impossible to turn on emotions as a convenience. My eyes are also so sensitive to light, I pretty much always will look dead-pan in any pic, with eyes closed. To make matters worse, I seem to have symptoms of dysmorphia. I have this sort of hyper-exaggerated sense of "self" which is like seeing myself in a different perspective. The result is I feel very uncomfortable to see any image of myself on camera. Then, scientifically, I had to ask myself why this was the case. It finally came to me that, in my view, human beings are only attractive to each other and tend to see themselves within an accepted "norm" of acceptance. For example, for pretty much everybody, a person with flowing long hair, a wide and open smile (and so on), is considered perfection. I also discovered that very often normal people do feel uncomfortable with their photos but are far more positive about a mirror reflection. In fact, this holds true for me as a view of myself in the mirror isn't anything like as bad as seeing a photo. This has been explained by psychologists.

Pics below show maths scientist Grigory Perelman and I did find some where he was smiling!

Once you start studying facial expression, surprisingly it can tell you a great deal. As a basic, some people seem to have a far wider capacity for smiling than others. What totally blows my mind is watching the intros to American soaps like Dallas, where all the cast has a brief clip with their name below (such as "starring Charlene Tilton as Lucy". You see this amazing pic of a person smiling incredibly naturally and relaxed. I then imagine myself being expected to do the same thing and realise there is no way in this world. At one time the pressure would cause me to panic.

GP1.png

GP2.png

Dr-David-Banner

A rarer pic of Einstein smiling but my guess is he would average quite low against an actress.

Ein.jpg

Lucy.jpg