Alice

Adult Sensory Tools

Alice

I use my massage rollers every day, several times - as soon as I come home, have a glass of water its the first thing I do to calm down from being out. I love it - and its not a specifically a sensory tool - nor are several things I use so I was just wondering what other people use as sensory tools. 

My massage roller looks like this, which I use on my under back on the ground, its so calming:
Muscle-foam-roller.thumb.jpg.8a1e4ee4c2195e41ddafbe5c9d621b5f.jpg

I have another that looks like this, which I use less often:
71CfXhOYcbL._SX425_.thumb.jpg.b166eed8837b94ebbadafafec0366306.jpg
and this one I use on the bottom of my feet:

blue-massage-ball-transparent_1024x1024.thumb.png.47ecff66499e4e8ffb9d67e92144f8e4.png

I use to also use a rebounder (mini trampoline) but now I find it overstimulates/stresses me out more than helps (too much movement). I really want to get some more of different varieties.

I also intend to make a weighted blanket - I can get sterilised sand from my local DIY store and have a sewing machine and the fabric ready, I just have to wait for a day where I feel confident enough to go there and get a taxi home, its a lot out of my comfort zone.

I also do yoga - which is like internal body sensory stimulation and kettlebells which is a very natural easy movement. Working my muscles hard really helps with sensory stuff. 
Doing a headstand is really great for when im too stressed, because it requires a lot of focus - and just the pressure on my head just calms the sensory kind of buzzing I get. I just focus on poses that help the area of my body that is feeling uncomfortable.

I would love to have a swing one day - or an in-house yoga swing - which look like a lot of fun. or just an indoor swing in general

81UQT1-f3ZL._SX425_.thumb.jpg.2226f2eb90ab85d041315f883d713954.jpg

Alice

I once tried a top of the line massage chair in a mall when I was having a tough moment - the person was very nice to me and let me cover myself up a bit to be more comfortable - but it felt amazing and helped so much ( I still had to go calm down for a while - I go into the parents room - they have curtained off cubicles with soft chairs, I dont think anyone would mind - also because im female, but noone has found me there yet).

The massage chairs are extremely expensive - it had parts to put your legs in which squeezed - which gave a sense of compression which is hard to produce. My ex-partner used to 'click my back' my wrapping his arms around me from behind and lifting me (he was tall) and kind of bouncing on the spot to make my back click - it was the compression I liked best. I know it sounds odd. Cant be helped.

Lot-98.thumb.jpg.c4e9c76d110d36492df114c18f900f3b.jpg

Edited by Alice

Alice

Ive also had my eye on one of these lamps. I put a scarf over my lampshade at night because I prefer some soft light, and these look beautiful. There are also serval kind of moon lamps that look amazing
HTB1CzFFXQfb_uJkSne1q6zE4XXa9.thumb.jpg.bb4f2f08374d4e998825681ad6d203c5.jpg

item_XL_26916064_56611853.jpg

Also, noise-cancelling headphones are a lifesaver. I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or soothing sounds while out.

Edited by Alice

Nesf

At the moment, a Rubik's cube :) I also have a lamp that changes colour and brightness.

Fairybelle

I have an entire bin of what are considered stimming toys that I got from various places. Some were from a website, and oddly enough, some were from Walmart. I have Tangles, two versions of Jacob's ladder, a Gyrobi, and some slow rising "squishes". My wife also got me a play musical instrument set, and I keep a really soft plush animal in the bin as well that's nice to stroke. I keep a Vera Bradley change purse that my mother-in-law gave me inside my purse, that contains a Tangle, a stim rock, and two marbles for emergencies when I'm out and about as well. 

Sofi

I have weighted blankets, fidget/chewable jewellery, ear defenders and I also use cuddly toys as comfort/sensory items.
I want to get some sort of soothing light projector with a star or underwater scene for night time.

Alice
13 hours ago, Nesf said:

At the moment, a Rubik's cube :) I also have a lamp that changes colour and brightness.

Nice!

11 hours ago, Fairybelle said:

I have an entire bin of what are considered stimming toys that I got from various places. Some were from a website, and oddly enough, some were from Walmart. I have Tangles, two versions of Jacob's ladder, a Gyrobi, and some slow rising "squishes". My wife also got me a play musical instrument set, and I keep a really soft plush animal in the bin as well that's nice to stroke. I keep a Vera Bradley change purse that my mother-in-law gave me inside my purse, that contains a Tangle, a stim rock, and two marbles for emergencies when I'm out and about as well. 

Sounds like you have a good setup. I personally dont find stimming tools help me because they only use my hands and I just fidget with my fingers/hands/feet to stim, but every autistic person is so unique in their needs. I know Dan from the Aspieworld uses a lot of tools like these

11 hours ago, Sofi said:

I have weighted blankets, fidget/chewable jewellery, ear defenders and I also use cuddly toys as comfort/sensory items.
I want to get some sort of soothing light projector with a star or underwater scene for night time.

Nice - how heavy is your blanket if you dont mind my asking? I hug/squeeze a pillow when overwhelmed or do this yoga pose which has been shown to release oxytocin - the bonding/calming neurotransmitter. But have also been thinking of making a weighted softtoy (a stingray, my favourite) or buying a soft toy and filling the inside with weighted pouches

GEBBRBAmiChild200.thumb.jpg.239b82bbfd5b1d9b9788bcaa1983c937.jpg

Alice

I find body sensory tools take me from overwhelm to calmer - and 'get out' whatever overload is happening in my body rerouting what would have been a meltdown.

Temple Grandin made a compression machine in university, so I know im not the only one to appreciate that but I'm certainly not going to try make one as thats well beyond my DIY capacity. I know there are some unusual squishy big autism chairs for kids you can sink into but that sounds claustrophobic to me, like I would get stuck in it haha

Has anyone ever tried vibration machines? (AKA powerplates, vibratrain - normally sold for 'weight loss'). Autistic kids love vibrating toys and whole body vibration has been shown to reduce cortisol (stress marker) by 30% in autistic individuals. Vibrating massage tools on my scalp help a lot.

They look like this - you can stand or sit (or do exercises like lunges or abwork on it to supposedly get deeper into the muscles but I dont so much care about that). I think it could be helpful, but I might not like it and theres nowhere you can really try one out.

617245369_ScreenShot2019-02-22at12_09_14pm.thumb.png.cabc1bc6809fe3753a242b4a13d39099.png

Max000
On 2/20/2019 at 2:50 PM, Alice said:

I once tried a top of the line massage chair in a mall when I was having a tough moment - the person was very nice to me and let me cover myself up a bit to be more comfortable - but it felt amazing and helped so much ( I still had to go calm down for a while - I go into the parents room - they have curtained off cubicles with soft chairs, I dont think anyone would mind - also because im female, but noone has found me there yet).

The massage chairs are extremely expensive - it had parts to put your legs in which squeezed - which gave a sense of compression which is hard to produce. My ex-partner used to 'click my back' my wrapping his arms around me from behind and lifting me (he was tall) and kind of bouncing on the spot to make my back click - it was the compression I liked best. I know it sounds odd. Cant be helped.

Lot-98.thumb.jpg.c4e9c76d110d36492df114c18f900f3b.jpg

I have wanted a massage chair like that for a long time, but can't afford it either. The best alternative I have found are massage mats like this one. They only cost about US $20 - $30, and  give a lot of the same sensation. You can use them while sitting in a recliner, or in bed, or on the floor, or even just wrap them around the part of your body you want massaged. They have been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it. 

ad483528a3894cbc93851307a43cce3a.jpg

Max000
20 hours ago, Fairybelle said:

I love Tangles. My favorites recently are Tangle Jr. Totally Textured Metallics. That are amazing. Unfortunately they seem a bit hard to get right now, at least at a reasonable price. But I have managed to get the silver, pink, and green ones. I'm hoping I can get the other colors soon, because they all  have a different feel to them. 

6TETM.jpeg