Alice

Adult Sensory Tools

Alice
On 2/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Max000 said:

I have wanted a massage chair like that for a long time, but can't afford it either. The best alternative I have found are massage mats like this one. They only cost about US $20 - $30, and  give a lot of the same sensation. You can use them while sitting in a recliner, or in bed, or on the floor, or even just wrap them around the part of your body you want massaged. They have been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it. 

I have wondered whether these are any good or worth getting, I would probably enjoy it/it would help. Im glad it works for you

RiRi

@Alice Do you suffer from chronic back pain (referring to the first post with the roller on your back)? Or is it just relaxing to roll it on your back? 

Alice
3 hours ago, RiRi said:

@Alice Do you suffer from chronic back pain (referring to the first post with the roller on your back)? Or is it just relaxing to roll it on your back? 

No back pain. I do it because it soothes me by activating my proprioception - otherwise I stay lost in all the sensory info and thoughts from going outside in the world, or from whatever task I was doing previously (it helps with task switching to activate proprioception), or from something stressful. It has bumps on it and its very soothing just balancing and rolling back and forth for a bit- you cant think about anything else. It makes all that internal sensory noise quiet down.

Proprioception is just your connection to and feeling of your body in space - it is dysfunctional in people with sensory processing disorder, autism and ADD - its why we stim - to activate and regulate proprioception. Knowing how to work with your proprioception means you can increase your level of functioning, focus and attention span - and prevent or soothe a meltdown (not always). Its why I find all of these tools - yoga, exercise, cold showers, and massage tools so helpful and what sensory integration therapy involves.

In one of the videos I posted on the documentary list they had a school for autistic children where they all did half an hour with a sensory integration routine before classes to increase focus - but it would be more beneficial several times throughout the day for shorter bursts.

proprioception-big.thumb.jpg.3a44e8ceda1d6ddf7a442c100b630a6c.jpg

RiRi

I found this ASMR video by Willow calming to listen to and watch.

Wonderful ASMR video, @Willow. I really liked some of the materials you used, the ones that look like PlayDoh, where did you buy them? I want to get some stimming things and really liked the stuff you have. 

Fairybelle

I actually also now have noise cancelling headphones - my wife got me them for Christmas, best gift ever. 
I also added a shiny sequin flip journal to my bin, flipping the sequins helps.
I made some really good stim tools as well. I have three sensory bottles that I made with my grandma. I found the idea online. You can buy them in stores too, but making them for myself was more fun. And cheaper. 

Max000
On 3/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, Alice said:

I have wondered whether these are any good or worth getting, I would probably enjoy it/it would help. Im glad it works for you

It's well worth the $20 or $30 I pay for it. I'm sure a massage chair is a lot better, but for $20 vs $1,000 it works for me. 😀

Alice
On 3/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, RiRi said:

I found this ASMR video by Willow calming to listen to and watch.

Wonderful ASMR video, @Willow. I really liked some of the materials you used, the ones that look like PlayDoh, where did you buy them? I want to get some stimming things and really liked the stuff you have. 

I cant stand ASMR sounds. I find it revolting (each to their own). Especially the chewing ones - my grandfather was such a noisy eater, mouth open, food falling out, oblivious. It was hard to hold my stomach or eat my food at the same table. I was always taught to eat quietly.

Though I do love listening to Sleep Stories which are spoken gently, and some audiobook narrators have naturally calming voices - I love anything Stephen Fry narrates. Harry Potter, Mythos, Heroes, Hitchhikers guide, He also did a lavender Sleep Story. The only ASMR I tolerated for a little was for a bit when I got really bad night terrors, and woke up and couldnt feel safe, I would listen to this one ASMR girl (cant stand the rest, but she has a nice vibe) GentleWhisperingASMR on Youtube- she does these ones where she is imitating brushing your hair, giving you a facial mask, cleansing your aura - I didnt care what, it was just the gentle voice, and acting out doing something caring towards me when I was alone and terrified that I liked, I used my imagination and it reminded me of the calming sensations when I have received care that I liked and felt safe in, especially the handful of memories tucked away in childhood (i.e. I had plenty of awful hairbrushing moments but if it was my mum and she was well she would do it so kind, soft, and with soothing words - and the ASMR thing took me back to that which helped me calm down)