RiRi

Skydiving

RiRi

Have you ever gone skydiving? If so, what was your experience? 

RiRi

I've never been skydiving and I don't think I'll ever go because it just seems too scary. I feel I probably won't understand the instructions and in turn do something wrong. I also wouldn't trust my life to another person. I know there are people who skydive on their own but those people spend at least a year learning and a lot of things could go wrong. The parachute might not deploy and thus result in death. 

I just did some research and it looks like it's safer to skydive than drive. Maybe that's why I don't drive. I have to look into it more though because I don't know if they're doing it by ratio since a lot more people drive than skydive.

Alice

@RiRi Yes, I have twice. Once in Taupo, once in Whangarei in NZ.

It was a very intensely experience. It was beautiful - the panoramic view, the amount of the earth you can see - and see the curve of the earth as you are falling towards it. Its surreal. There is a lot of wind. Its the most alive ive ever felt, like I was really alive in every cell. The closest ive had to flying - especially after the initial fall where you are coasting (with the parachute) on the wind like a gull.

I was not afraid - I decided that if I decided I wanted to do it, I didnt want to be in fear the whole time because that would ruin it, I accepted that I could in theory realistically die and that would really be okay, I had nothing to loose, I told my mind that any feelings I had were excitement and refused any anxiety, so I was really able to be present with the experience. Ive always been afraid of heights - it was party overcoming that and just curiosity about my own human experience? That probably sounds weird but I only have one life to figure it out - and what better way than the extremes of the human experience - that was my logic anyway. The first one was less good because my ear covers were a little loose and wind got it which hurt my ears, which I could mostly block out but made me want to do the second time.

It was exhilarating and brilliant. I am still so grateful for the experiences. I think I would do it again if I had the opportunity, I'm probably less open to life now that im older and im more sensitive these days.

Are you thinking of doing it?

Max000
On 2/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, RiRi said:

Have you ever gone skydiving? If so, what was your experience? 

I would never do that. I just don't have need for adrenaline rushes like that. I don't really understand it. Which I'm kind of happy about. Because I think that type of stuff is just a waste of money, and probably lowers your life expectancy, a bit each time you do it. 

Heather

I have never done and similarly I am scared of it.  

I have gone on a small roller coaster/ride before and some water slides, I survived, but am in no desire to seek those things in general.  I get my thrill from other things. I can understand why people do it, because there is a thrill of surviving what feels like a near death experience.

StarlessEclipse

@Alice do you feel that your outlook on life changed afterwards?

Alice
On 2/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, StarlessEclipse said:

@Alice do you feel that your outlook on life changed afterwards?

Not particularly. Im not bothered by heights now which is a plus. I can use ladders etc.. now with little to no anxiety. It has some personal significance that is difficult to put into words. It just sits in my memory as a highlight moment of my life of beautiful scenery - much like climbing a mountain for a beautiful view. These falling views and when I did the Tongariro mountain circuit are burned into my memory because of the intense beauty and awe to a degree that I had not experienced before. I was overcome with emotion at the emerald lakes on Tongariro and I would have also while skydiving if it were a moment where crying was possible. I dont think my outlook has changed. I know myself more, I had a beautiful temporary experience - but thats all, there is no real meaning to be found in such a thing, in my opinion (but I was searching everywhere for it at the time, anything to keep me here on the planet)

Edited by Alice