Alice

Autism or Aspergers portrayals in novels

Alice

Some novels I have read with character portrayels of Autism/Aspergers, not always as a main character. Starred are my Favourites. 

Eleanor Oliphont Is completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
Attachments - Rainbow Rowell
*Radio Silence - Alice Orseman
The Kiss Quotient - Helen Hoang
*All Systems Red (and whole Murderbot series - Its about a human-like robot but is very relatable from an Austism perspective) - Martha Wells
Lady Midnight (and whole Dark Artifices series) - Cassandra Clare
The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
The curious incident of the Dog in the Nightime - Mark Haddon
*The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Steig Larsson

I also think:
Truly Devious - Maureen Johnson
Mary Poppins - P.L Travers (very different from the films)

Please share any you have read

RiRi

The Other Side: Living with Asperger's Syndrome by @WillowHope. It's an autobiography. Have you read it @Alice

Alice
33 minutes ago, RiRi said:

The Other Side: Living with Asperger's Syndrome by @WillowHope. It's an autobiography. Have you read it @Alice

I dont really enjoy autobiographies - I'm sure its great. I had several by other aspies on my kindle but theyre just not my thing. Have you?

These are all fictional characters and stories which is what I personally enjoy

RiRi
2 minutes ago, Alice said:

I dont really enjoy autobiographies - I'm sure its great. I had several by other aspies on my kindle but theyre just not my thing. Have you?

Ah, I get what you mean. I have read it, they're my thing. But I do get what you mean by it's not your thing. Why do something you don't enjoy doing, right? Unless you have to for school or something lol, and sometimes that's not even a huge motivator. I had to read some books for college and some I never read.

Are you going to become a psychologist? 

Alice
33 minutes ago, RiRi said:

Ah, I get what you mean. I have read it, they're my thing. But I do get what you mean by it's not your thing. Why do something you don't enjoy doing, right? Unless you have to for school or something lol, and sometimes that's not even a huge motivator. I had to read some books for college and some I never read.

Are you going to become a psychologist? 

No, I was just obsessed with psychological information for a while - and am still a bit, but the actual job requires a lots of interaction and nuanced, subtle social communication, well beyond my skill level - I take a while to process interactions which wouldnt work for being a face to face psychologist. 
People are too messy and confusing - I enjoyed psychology because it made some patterns and explanations for the NTs I found so confusing and for understanding myself (and finally getting a diagnosis)- made some sense I could follow. I honestly dont see a role I can fit, I tried to get into research for a bit but it still requires working with NTs and according to timeframes and not being able to choose exactly what I want to study, which kills my motivation, like you say. 
I still hope I'll end up finding a way to turn it into something useful.

Edited by Alice