StarlessEclipse

Was life better without the Internet?

Dr-David-Banner

For the first time, someone higher up the social ladder has voiced exactly the same views I have. This is that the exposure of smoking as harmful in the 70s is so similar to the social media phenomenon. We need to be totally aware that what goes into your brain resembles what goes into your mouth (diet). Absolutely, the internet is hugely valuable for learning languages or lots of other things. Despite all that it seems to me most users these days are being dumbed down by Social Media. Much of this activity tends to be made up of gossip, routine chit chat or (even worse) games. Now don't take me for a saint. Sure, I've accessed adult material online or dating forums in the past. The dating forums were usually dead boring - two liner responses on down-to-earth topics. Conversation was painfully limited. So, I dropped it. In many ways Social Media to me is the very opposite of autism since autism sometimes cultivates "creativity" by being remote from what other people think and the general trivia of what matters to the majority. Basically it's "social intelligence" that now dominates the internet and not content that gives  the brain a workout. As the writer stated on the BBC radio the net has somehow alienated the general population from technology. The masses became consumers and - even worse - depend on it for information that's now plain biased..This latest development sees political bias being fed to users online because so much alternative news tends to be blocked.Very possibly we would be better off without it till the time steps are taken to safeguard users from surveillance, job centre tracking, profiling and the general dumbing down of our minds. I used to be alone in these views but more people are becoming cynical. Anyway I use the net mostly today for online dictionaries and news. Yet so many non mainstream news channels can't be accessed on my mobile so I use foreign variants.

StarlessEclipse

This unprecedented lack of remoteness is a major factor in why the political discourse has become so aggressive, deranged, mob-like and devoid of nuance. People have never had less time to formulate their own ideas, free from the influence of others. Author Zadie Smith put it well...

“I have seen on Twitter, I’ve seen it at a distance, people have a feeling at 9am quite strongly, and then by 11am have been shouted out of it and can have a completely opposite feeling four hours later. That part, I find really unfortunate. I want to have my feeling, even if it’s wrong, even if it’s inappropriate, express it to myself in the privacy of my heart and my mind. I don’t want to be bullied out of it."

EccentricChemist

Definitely better, I used to feel extremely alone before the internet even though I had a couple of friends.  Also extremely convenient for ordering parts for things like my antique tractor etc.  It's great to find a site like this with others who have experienced the things I have. 

Definitely better, I used to feel extremely alone before the internet even though I had a couple of friends.  Also extremely convenient for ordering parts for things like my antique tractor etc.  It's great to find a site like this with others who have experienced the things I have. 

Dr-David-Banner

In the 1960s we could land people on the moon. We already had the internet but it was licensed - the best system being SSB for shortwave. With this you could transmit far enough. With the old system though you were included in the technology aspect. You built your own rigs or even small stations. I have a few 1950s sets that should work on 50 meters or 17 meters. Possibly nobody is transmitting on those old shortwave bands. To do this is possible because many old books from amateur radio show you how to modulate radio carriers. To simplify it the so-called radio frequency called "the carrier" will be possibly at a frequency from 400 kilohertz up to 20 megahertz. Amplitude is flat on positive and negative cycles. Using audio frequency you can modulate the carrier so it's amplitude is varied. That is with peaks and lows around the audio frequency. We call this a modulated carrier wave and it looks squiggly. Use huge voltages and these waves will go into space with the audio code incorporated. In times of real crisis this system is dependable, reliable and teachable. I was thinking about trying to use some vacated shortwave bands although some American enthusiasts warned me of being jailed.

polish_bear_65

Wether we like it or not, progress is inevitable. Yes, there are certain downsides to it, but if you look at general picture - there are far more benefits than drawbacks. Medicine, education, social support. People complain a lot about these spheres, but if you take a look at statistics, hard facts, you'll see that changes are for the better. Plus, if you don't like something that exists - you can always ignore it. It doesn't work the other way around (if cars don't exist - you can't drive one anyway).