Jump to content

Recommended Posts

RiRi

I saw @Willow's vlog yesterday. I recommend you guys go see it on her channel if you haven't already. She actually started crying. You could tell she wasn't doing well. 

Edited by RiRi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asgardian
11 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

And indeed I asked because one is more likely to feel lonely after losing a pet having only had one than having plenty of pets and losing only one of them. 

You were referring to the level of grief felt, not loneliness. In my opinion they are two separate things. If you had originally referred to loneliness I would have agreed with you. It is clear to me that having one pet then losing them would create a sense of loneliness while losing one out of multiple pets would not. On the other hand, as has been previously stated, the level of grief would not be different and I think that is where your points have been blurred. Loneliness and grief are two different things I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alice

When I lost my cat, it took me a few years before I could have another. I dont see them as interchangeable, they are distinctly unique creatures, I love their simple companionship - its better in many ways than what people offer.

My cat found me in my first year of uni - at the uni flats, she just came to outside my window and meowed for weeks till I adopted her, till I pitied her in the cold - she didnt have anywhere else, she stayed under the flats and in the bushes, but she never bothered anyone else. She might have been left behind by someone in that room the previous year I guess.

Just like I dont understand people who go from one partner to the next, to the next. I need space - to let go of the old. I had genuine grief and loss for loosing my friend - I wouldnt have appreciated a new animal right away. I enjoyed the memories of her comfort and company - it kept me content when I missed her, I have a very vivid 'inner world' and memories of quiet moments together in the sun or snuggled in bed. I cried quite a bit over the years, I never seem to love half-heartedly, or I just get very attached. 

When I went to the SPCA a good 4 years later, there were only two cats - one with the exact colouring - the same black and white in almost exactly the same places. It was uncanny and seemed perfectly right. She's still a unique personality of her own - younger and fiercer, but it was really cool - like she reincarnated - I know she didnt but there was a synchronistic feeling to it that I liked.

Everyone is quite different about pets and animals. I saw a lot get killed as a kid which I hated so I'm pretty protective towards them - and its a common aspie thing to feel more similarity and camaraderie with animals than people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Willow
12 minutes ago, Alice said:

When I lost my cat, it took me a few years before I could have another. I dont see them as interchangeable, they are distinctly unique creatures, I love their simple companionship - its better in many ways than what people offer.

My cat found me in my first year of uni - at the uni flats, she just came to outside my window and meowed for weeks till I adopted her, till I pitied her in the cold - she didnt have anywhere else, she stayed under the flats and in the bushes, but she never bothered anyone else. She might have been left behind by someone in that room the previous year I guess.

Just like I dont understand people who go from one partner to the next, to the next. I need space - to let go of the old. I had genuine grief and loss for loosing my friend - I wouldnt have appreciated a new animal right away. I enjoyed the memories of her comfort and company - it kept me content when I missed her, I have a very vivid 'inner world' and memories of quiet moments together in the sun or snuggled in bed. I cried quite a bit over the years, I never seem to love half-heartedly, or I just get very attached. 

When I went to the SPCA a good 4 years later, there were only two cats - one with the exact colouring - the same black and white in almost exactly the same places. It was uncanny and seemed perfectly right. She's still a unique personality of her own - younger and fiercer, but it was really cool - like she reincarnated - I know she didnt but there was a synchronistic feeling to it that I liked.

Everyone is quite different about pets and animals. I saw a lot get killed as a kid which I hated so I'm pretty protective towards them - and its a common aspie thing to feel more similarity and camaraderie with animals than people

I feel the same to a degree. Though with my fish, I had a second fish he left behind, and he was behaving erratically after his death, I think due to loneliness, so since fish are social creatures, I did go and get him a friend a few days later. I also don't like having an empty home - as in, the pet's home, so for smaller pets, a cage, when it could be used by an animal who needs it, so when my dwarf hamster, Thor, died I did go and get another one, Marshmallow, so he could benefit from a home full of toys and love. However, when Marshmallow died I couldn't bare to replace him - I think, because I'd been able to grow much closer to him as he would let me pet him, whereas Thor never would. I still miss Marshmallow and couldn't face having another hamster yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spiderwoman0_2

Losing pets can be devastating, doesn't matter how many pets you have, but you can take comfort in the other pets.  I have to be honest, I didn't think I'd get as upset as I did when I had to take Luigi (chinchilla) to the vets, I had to make that dreadful decision, do I let him have an operation to sort out his teeth for it to only happen again or do I have him put to sleep.    I chose not to let him suffer and I cried my heart out at the vets and all the way to the carpark carrying an empty cage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myrtonos
On 3/5/2019 at 11:13 AM, Asgardian said:

You were referring to the level of grief felt, not loneliness. In my opinion they are two separate things. If you had originally referred to loneliness I would have agreed with you. It is clear to me that having one pet then losing them would create a sense of loneliness while losing one out of multiple pets would not. On the other hand, as has been previously stated, the level of grief would not be different and I think that is where your points have been blurred. Loneliness and grief are two different things I believe.

Two different/separate things? By the way, as for having plenty of pets and losing one, suppose those pets are indeed quite similar to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Willow
27 minutes ago, Myrtonos said:

Two different/separate things? By the way, as for having plenty of pets and losing one, suppose those pets are indeed quite similar to each other.

I think you’ll struggle to find someone who thinks their pets are similar to each other - in the context of losing one being less difficult if you have a ‘similar’ one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asgardian
10 hours ago, Myrtonos said:

Two different/separate things? By the way, as for having plenty of pets and losing one, suppose those pets are indeed quite similar to each other.

Yes, grief and loneliness are two different things. Not sure why you are questioning that. Your second point makes no sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tylermc

and also I had a lapso apso there like a big shih tzu there really good dogs 🐾❤️😊 And also I had that dog 

for 14 years 😊❤️🐾

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tylermc
On 3/6/2019 at 4:05 AM, spiderwoman0_2 said:

Losing pets can be devastating, doesn't matter how many pets you have, but you can take comfort in the other pets.  I have to be honest, I didn't think I'd get as upset as I did when I had to take Luigi (chinchilla) to the vets, I had to make that dreadful decision, do I let him have an operation to sort out his teeth for it to only happen again or do I have him put to sleep.    I chose not to let him suffer and I cried my heart out at the vets and all the way to the carpark carrying an empty cage. 

hugs 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.