Alice

Do you have a supportive family?

Alice

Of you as a person and of your diagnosis (or self-diagnosis)

Peridot

No, not really.

Heather

Yes I am very greatful for my family.

Alice
4 hours ago, Heather said:

Yes I am very greatful for my family.

Thats so good to hear

4 hours ago, Peridot said:

No, not really.

Fair call. For both aspects of the question?

I was wondering what the general balance is, if there is a trend either way. And if any late diagnosis people have found their families unsupportive or supportive

Edited by Alice

Charlie Brown

No. My parents are long gone but I have four kids who have nothing to do with me unless they want something.

Willow

I was a late diagnosis and I have a really supportive Mum. By the time I was diagnosed, though, my younger brother had already been diagnosed, so she was already in the full swing of being an Autism Mum ahaha 🙂 Later, she married my Step Dad, and he is also really supportive.

RiRi

I was late diagnosis too. I was diagnosed in my early 20s. I am blessed with a very supportive family. Although, going to uni helped me a lot to be more open and helped me understand people more as prior to that I'm not sure if I had such a great relationship with everyone in my family.

Nesf

They were very supportive of my diagnosis - my mum came to the assessment and my sister helped with my paperwork, but they live a long way away and rarely talk to me. I don't have much in common with my siblings and they have completely different personalities. I'm not on their radar at the moment at all.

Heather

I was diagnosed in my teens (16) so not early but not really late either.  

Peridot
8 hours ago, Alice said:

Fair call. For both aspects of the question?

I was wondering what the general balance is, if there is a trend either way. And if any late diagnosis people have found their families unsupportive or supportive

Well, I watch a lot of Stefan Molyneux and recently he said his family were like wolves. He's had an abusive mother for instance. My mother has a personality disorder and she's very frightening at times. And dangerous. I no longer really have her in my life. In fact most people in my family are now more like strangers… There are only a few people who I still see sometimes and they have helped me out in the past a few times for which I am grateful.

I haven't ever been officially diagnosed but when in the past I almost was and it was brought up it really didn't change much regarding their attitude. My family is/was disappointing in many ways.