Alice

Do you have a supportive family?

HalfFull

In my case my mum worked as a special attachment officer in a school so knew the signs when things weren't going so well, so she was very insistent I get a diagnosis. She and my dad have been supportive all along, and I think my 2 NT brothers too.

RiRi
16 hours ago, Alice said:

I was wondering what the general balance is, if there is a trend either way. And if any late diagnosis people have found their families unsupportive or supportive

@Alice What do you consider late diagnosis? Is it not being diagnosed as a child? 

StarlessEclipse

My immediate family? Generally yes, though my relationship with my dad was quite strained around 2012/2013.

My extended family? Very mixed bag. Some of them are amazing, others are difficult.

Edited by StarlessEclipse

Alice
On 3/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, Willow said:

I was a late diagnosis and I have a really supportive Mum. By the time I was diagnosed, though, my younger brother had already been diagnosed, so she was already in the full swing of being an Autism Mum ahaha 🙂 Later, she married my Step Dad, and he is also really supportive.

This sounds really good

On 3/9/2019 at 4:01 AM, Peridot said:

Well, I watch a lot of Stefan Molyneux and recently he said his family were like wolves. He's had an abusive mother for instance. My mother has a personality disorder and she's very frightening at times. And dangerous. I no longer really have her in my life. In fact most people in my family are now more like strangers… There are only a few people who I still see sometimes and they have helped me out in the past a few times for which I am grateful.

I haven't ever been officially diagnosed but when in the past I almost was and it was brought up it really didn't change much regarding their attitude. My family is/was disappointing in many ways.

I relate to that in some ways. I was partially raised by an abusive/covert narcissist nana, and an abusive foster parent, and unwell mother. Very confusing for an autistic person to understand - with my innate honesty and nativity. I was diagnosed at 26, after establishing no contact with my family, I have had some try to reach me through instagram which is public and makes note of my autism so they may know, but its not their business. 
Im glad you at least had some decent people, I think it can make all the difference

On 3/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, HalfFull said:

In my case my mum worked as a special attachment officer in a school so knew the signs when things weren't going so well, so she was very insistent I get a diagnosis. She and my dad have been supportive all along, and I think my 2 NT brothers too.

Is this someone who works with children who have extra needs? That sounds very healthy 🙂

On 3/9/2019 at 12:21 PM, RiRi said:

@Alice What do you consider late diagnosis? Is it not being diagnosed as a child? 

Personally just diagnosis in adulthood. Generally by that time, your basic identity has formed and you are out of the family home environment
But as @Heather said 16 isnt early diagnosis, or late. It will feel or seem different to everyone

Edited by Alice