RiRi

Where do you fall in the ADHD scale?

RiRi

I came up with this topic based of off someone's post. I thought it would be interesting to see where those on the spectrum fall in the ADHD scale. This could give us an idea of how much both conditions could overlap or if they don't. Maybe some of us just have ADHD in addition to ASD or maybe some of us don't. I think if a lot of us fit the ADHD criteria, it could mean that ASD and ADHD overlap a lot in the symptoms. If only some of us fit the ADHD criteria, it could mean we had ADHD in addition to ASD. 

Take these tests to see where you fall in the ADHD scale:

1. https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/adhd-quiz/
  2. https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-test-adults/
  3. http://totallyadd.com/do-i-have-add/

And post your results here if you'd like. I give credit to the other members who found these tests. 

HalfFull

Test 1

Results of Your Adult
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz

You scored a total of  35

Inattention Subscale: 21
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 14

Test 2

This screener is designed to determine whether you demonstrate symptoms similar to those of attention deficit disorder (ADHD). A high score does not necessarily mean you have ADHD or another disorder.

This questionnaire was adapted from the ASRS Screener developed by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Workgroup on Adult ADHD. It is intended for people ages 18 and older. If you answer yes to a significant number of these questions, consult a licensed mental health practitioner. An accurate diagnosis can only be made through clinical evaluation.

You scored 58%.

Test 3

Part 1 - You scored: 7 of 9

That’s the 9 Inattention Symptoms – You’ve finished Part 1!

Your score suggests INATTENTION is a problem for you.

Part 2 - You scored 1 out of 9

Your answers suggest you may have The Predominantly Inattentive Subtype of ADHD

Sanctuary

Thank you for posting those links RiRi. I've never thought I have ADHD but it's often interesting to take these tests. I took the first one (psychcentral) and scored 15 which is very low but still classed as "ADHD symptoms" but elsewhere on the page as "You are ADHD-free". As is often the case with these tests the questions would benefit from being more nuanced. I generally don't have problems focusing on an activity but can do when it is something I don't want to do and / or find very difficult - I think this would be true for most people. I can "zone out" at times but again only when the activity I'm doing is one I find boring or which can be done fairly automatically. Another question was about planning but when I find activities hard to plan it's because I find the task difficult and don't know how to break it down in the most effective way. Sometimes I do devise a plan and then fail to follow it but this is often more about problems with multi-tasking - finding it difficult to do the task while also checking the plan. On other occasions I just feel the plan isn't much good and therefore isn't worth following or I'm concerned that consciously looking at a plan will look ponderous or even incompetent to onlookers.

I do wonder whether this sort of test might lead to lots of "false positives" where people who don't have ADHD but are occasionally restless or unfocused (as most of us are) will be wrongly placed high on the scale. Of course there will be people who know they have a lot of problems with attention and impulsiveness and I think they are more likely to have ADHD. As always tests can be helpful in getting a sense of whether or not there is an issue - particularly if there is a very high score - but only detailed exploration of behaviour and feelings with an expert will give a clearer indication.

Nesf

I got a whopping 45 on the first one... I know I have some ADHD traits, but I didn't think it's really that strong. I answered 'sometimes' to things that I sometimes do, but don't do all the time, perhaps I should have answered 'rarely'... but that didn't seem right, either.

In the second one I scored 74%

On the third test, I got 7/9 on both sections.

RiRi
10 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

Thank you for posting those links RiRi. I've never thought I have ADHD but it's often interesting to take these tests. I took the first one (psychcentral) and scored 15 which is very low but still classed as "ADHD symptoms" but elsewhere on the page as "You are ADHD-free". As is often the case with these tests the questions would benefit from being more nuanced. I generally don't have problems focusing on an activity but can do when it is something I don't want to do and / or find very difficult - I think this would be true for most people. I can "zone out" at times but again only when the activity I'm doing is one I find boring or which can be done fairly automatically. Another question was about planning but when I find activities hard to plan it's because I find the task difficult and don't know how to break it down in the most effective way. Sometimes I do devise a plan and then fail to follow it but this is often more about problems with multi-tasking - finding it difficult to do the task while also checking the plan. On other occasions I just feel the plan isn't much good and therefore isn't worth following or I'm concerned that consciously looking at a plan will look ponderous or even incompetent to onlookers.

I do wonder whether this sort of test might lead to lots of "false positives" where people who don't have ADHD but are occasionally restless or unfocused (as most of us are) will be wrongly placed high on the scale. Of course there will be people who know they have a lot of problems with attention and impulsiveness and I think they are more likely to have ADHD. As always tests can be helpful in getting a sense of whether or not there is an issue - particularly if there is a very high score - but only detailed exploration of behaviour and feelings with an expert will give a clearer indication.

@Sanctuary Thank you for your feedback. 🙂 That is very true that it's based on the symptoms and how the person feels whether it's likely that they have ADD/ADHD. Was 15 your total score?

RiRi

1. 37

2. 77%

3. 9/9 ADD, 5/9 ADHD

I feel that I might have ADD. I forgot to write in the OP to state whether you think you may have ADHD/ADD/combination and whether you're officially diagnosed or not, if you want. 

Nesf

I felt that most of the questions were vague and opend to interpretation. The first one, for example, was asking you if you sometimes, or rarely do certain things that basically all people do, scuh as forget or lose things... most people would probably answer 'sometimes' to those things and then get a point towards their ADHD score, but clearly most people can't have ADHD.

Sanctuary
8 hours ago, RiRi said:

@Sanctuary Thank you for your feedback. 🙂 That is very true that it's based on the symptoms and how the person feels whether it's likely that they have ADD/ADHD. Was 15 your total score?

15 was my total score - 8 for inattention and 7 for hyperactivity. As Nesf was suggesting it is possible to answer some of the questions differently, e.g. swapping "rarely" for "sometimes" and vice versa. I think most people's answers would change a little and perhaps be five higher or five lower. Perhaps a 1-5 scale would have been better than just offering four choices.

I did have a go at the second test but it seemed to assume the person taking the test had already been diagnosed with ADHD. I did it anyway and got 29% which again is a low score. As with tests for ASD and other conditions perhaps the most important thing for any person to consider is whether they are experiencing difficulties - some will know that inattention or impulsiveness is causing them problems and may want to consider consulting an expert and possibly pursuing a diagnosis.

RiRi
On 3/11/2019 at 1:39 AM, Nesf said:

I felt that most of the questions were vague and opend to interpretation. The first one, for example, was asking you if you sometimes, or rarely do certain things that basically all people do, scuh as forget or lose things... most people would probably answer 'sometimes' to those things and then get a point towards their ADHD score, but clearly most people can't have ADHD.

That is true. For me, I'm always losing something, even if it's a thing I use a lot. Do you think you have ADHD, if so, do you plan on getting diagnosed? 

Nesf
3 hours ago, RiRi said:

That is true. For me, I'm always losing something, even if it's a thing I use a lot. Do you think you have ADHD, if so, do you plan on getting diagnosed? 

I'm not sure, I know I have traits, but some things fit and others don't. I'm not very talkative, for example, people with ADHD are often over-talkative. No, I'm not planning on gettting diagnosed, because even if I have it, I can mostly cope with the symptoms, and I'm not sure whether those symptoms are part of the Asperger's or whether they are separate ADHD symptoms.