Jump to content
Alice

Cultural slang or idoms you like or dislike?

Recommended Posts

Alice

"He looks like a tall glass of water" (is handsome) or more recently the slang of being "thirsty" (meaning lustful)
I find both of these so absurd, I dont think being thirsty is anything like lust or attraction. Thirst is innocent, you cant really have any depraved version of it and it applies to all ages; Lust isnt.


I always google them to find the meaning - urban dictionary is usually helpful


I like "low-key_"  even though I wouldnt use it myself, but like I am low-key happy (I am slightly happy or calmly happy). This makes sense because low-key has previously been used to describe a smaller or quieter event.

I like idioms where the image it creates makes sense. She is the "apple of my eye" (favourite/cherished) makes a weird image, I dislike it. Anytime someone uses it, an image of an apple in someones eye comes to mind which is funny but the illogicality irritates me.

I hate the idiom "fruit of my loins" (children) because it sounds really gross, I dont like the sound of the word 'loins', and people should keep fruit where it belongs - again the imagery thing.

Do any bother you even if you know the meaning?

Edited by Alice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf

I hate people telling me "it's not the end of the world". I find it very dismissive and unhelpful.

Also, don't like "wearing your heart on your sleeve" for the image it creates in me mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HalfFull

I like Aspie, Cool, Dude, lol and rofl and It was a comedy of errors.

I'm not going to tell people not to use them but I dislike the f word, the c word and the t word.

I also don't like the terms mate, man, hun, babe and Someone who can hit the ground running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peridot

One time an American woman told me (online) that if I was to go to America and speak Dutch I'd have more ass than a toilet seat as she thought it sounded sexy. ^_^ I don't necessarily dislike that expression but there's a lot of expressions that evoke mental imagery which cause repulsion and that irks me. I won't mention any of them as they might irritate others as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alice
11 hours ago, Nesf said:

I hate people telling me "it's not the end of the world". I find it very dismissive and unhelpful.

Also, don't like "wearing your heart on your sleeve" for the image it creates in me mind.

I completely agree, about both. 

 

10 hours ago, HalfFull said:

I like Aspie, Cool, Dude, lol and rofl and It was a comedy of errors.

I'm not going to tell people not to use them but I dislike the f word, the c word and the t word.

I also don't like the terms mate, man, hun, babe and Someone who can hit the ground running.

I agree about the c word. I dont know a t word, and I dislike overuse of the f word, but at moments - especially of pain I can find it pretty helpful 🙂

I agree completely about the last line. In NZ we also have bro, cuz (cousin) as similar terms

 

10 hours ago, Peridot said:

One time an American woman told me (online) that if I was to go to America and speak Dutch I'd have more ass than a toilet seat as she thought it sounded sexy. ^_^ I don't necessarily dislike that expression but there's a lot of expressions that evoke mental imagery which cause repulsion and that irks me. I won't mention any of them as they might irritate others as well.

I had to google that. Fair enough. I dont really like anything vulgar, vulgarity isnt sexy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alice

I like: "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link". 

Dislike "butter wouldnt melt in her mouth". Makes me want to gag

Edited by Alice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nesf

Also, the expression that something 'gives me the willies' is just weird/surreal.

Edited by Nesf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sanctuary

I don't like expressions which intentionally and unnecessarily use bad grammar such as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why not "if it isn't broken, leave it alone"? Not as snappy perhaps but the ungrammatical form grates on me. There is a lot of bad grammar in song lyrics and most of the time the writers do know how to write grammatically. It doesn't really bother me but I sometimes wish they broke out of the cliche and wrote the same lyrics grammatically. Of course many of the lyrics would then be longer or wouldn't scan so well but I'm sure they could do it if they tried. As regards song lyrics generally there seems to be a repertoire of terms which seem to bear little relation to real life language - has anyone ever called their partner or love-interest "baby"? For this and many other reasons I rarely pay attention to song lyrics and focus more on the vocals and delivery as so many song lyrics are banal or cliched - not that it stops the songs as a whole from being great.

In the UK - mainly among those of middle-age or over - it's common to hear people address others as "love", e.g. "are you alright, love?" - this makes no sense as there isn't a romantic relationship between them or often any relationship as they may well be strangers. Often these terms are used unthinkingly out of habit but I would rather we used words that had meaning and feeling behind them. 

Edited by Sanctuary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HalfFull

Its for a similar reason I dislike strangers calling me 'mate' and its happening more now in fancier establishments where the use of 'Sir' would have previously been more likely. I think I've been refered to as 'mate' by staff in companies who address me by my title which completely defeats the purpose of formality. Either you address a person entirely formally or entirely informal. Mr Jones = Sir, Fred = mate (or preferably just Fred).

I didn't used to like being called love but it doesn't seem to bother me now. Lovey or Flower would annoy me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alice
On 3/11/2019 at 9:32 PM, Nesf said:

Also, the expression that something 'gives me the willies' is just weird/surreal.

Yes, I dont know how people can say this seriously

18 hours ago, Sanctuary said:

I don't like expressions which intentionally and unnecessarily use bad grammar such as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why not "if it isn't broken, leave it alone"? Not as snappy perhaps but the ungrammatical form grates on me. There is a lot of bad grammar in song lyrics and most of the time the writers do know how to write grammatically. It doesn't really bother me but I sometimes wish they broke out of the cliche and wrote the same lyrics grammatically. Of course many of the lyrics would then be longer or wouldn't scan so well but I'm sure they could do it if they tried. As regards song lyrics generally there seems to be a repertoire of terms which seem to bear little relation to real life language - has anyone ever called their partner or love-interest "baby"? For this and many other reasons I rarely pay attention to song lyrics and focus more on the vocals and delivery as so many song lyrics are banal or cliched - not that it stops the songs as a whole from being great.

In the UK - mainly among those of middle-age or over - it's common to hear people address others as "love", e.g. "are you alright, love?" - this makes no sense as there isn't a romantic relationship between them or often any relationship as they may well be strangers. Often these terms are used unthinkingly out of habit but I would rather we used words that had meaning and feeling behind them. 

I definitely agree with the endearment 'baby' for a romantic partner - also 'daddy'. I dont know how to see it other than literal and disturbing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.