Alice

Cultural slang or idoms you like or dislike?

Aeolienne
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Aeolienne said:

From what I can discern from the soundtrack of Trapped, the F word is the same in Icelandic. Must have been the pesky Vikings who introduced it to these fair shores.

By contrast, Swedish has very few swear words. Unlike us Brits, they don't find bodily functions obscene (evidently); instead they rely on "helvete" [hell] and "fan" [the devil], emphasised with "tusen" [thousand].

I should have elaborated that the F word as expletive is the same in Icelandic; I don't know if it is also used to refer to sexual activity. Perhaps the sexual meaning of the F word in English was derived from its use as a Viking obscenity rather than the other way round.

Also in Trapped, there was a scene where the subtitles referred to "horse manure" but what was said sounded like the Swedish for "horse sh1t" [hästskit]. Assuming that this is an accurate translation, it may indicate how what started off as a matter-of-fact term in Old Norse has shifted to an obscenity in its modern linguistic descendants. 

Max000

If you hate the F-word, don't watch this video. If you don't mind it, it's pretty funny. 😁

Alice

I was reading just now a book that said " Sumi used to say that hope is a four letter word" then "She was right. Thats why it never goes away" (Beneath the sugar sky - Sean maguire)

Ive heard this four letter word thing a million times and never understood why people said it. I thought they meant that its just a word - that its meaningless, which is the only thing I could think of for why someone is saying that. But used like this in the book, I could see that this explanation I had come up with no longer made sense - I was just staring at the page confused thinking "I know its got four letters?!!!"  There must be an actual meaning behind this..

I googled it, thinking I must be wrong and nothing was going to come up but "a four letter word" actually means: "any of several short words referring to sexual or excretory functions, regarded as coarse or offensive". "The phrase four-letter word refers to a set of English-language words written with four letters which are considered profane, including common popular or slang terms for excretory functions, sexual activity and genitalia, terms relating to Hell or damnation when used outside of religious contexts or slurs." Basically just means its an obscene word

I had absolutely no idea, this blows my mind as ive heard it a million times and never recognised it as a phrase with particular meaning

The Smiths (who I love) covered a song "work is a four letter word" . Jason Miraz (who I dont)  had an album "love is a four letter word".

Anyway...

It is mildly ironic given the above post - and kind of sums up a lot of words people previously mentioned as words they dislike 🙂  

Learnt something new today that probably everyone knows is a thing..

Edited by Alice