Myrtonos

30 years since the web began

Myrtonos

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the world wide web, which began in 1989. This was the same year as the first commercial public use of the internet. I remember when all web addresses I saw began with www, but this is actually just a subdomain. I would like to begin with a list of things the web is not:

The web is not the whole internet

The web is just one part of the internet. Email also goes between parties over the internet, but not the web. Although the first commercial public use of the internet was the same year as the web began, the only commercial public use at that time was emails between clients of different online service providers. Email existed before then, but one could only send email to other clients of the same service.

It has only been 27 years since the web has been available to the general public.

The web is not American

As noted before, the internet is of American origins, and as are a lot of things to do with computers and the internet, even the free software movement and open content licences originated in that country, but the web was founded by a Brit, Tim Berners-Lee when he worked for Switzerland's C.E.R.N, cern.ch is the oldest domain name. Does that mean that .ch is actually the oldest top-level domain?

HalfFull

I saw my first email as far back as early 1991. I was just 17 and now I'm 45. It was sent from a head office 100 miles away (I assume anyway). I wasn't the PC user but I was working in the small office where this email ended up. It was in relation to retail sales for a large retailer. I remember wondering how on earth it was possible. I was flabbergasted.

There were forms of internet before 1989 but as suggested above not available to the general public. I believe that the earliest form was as far back as 1969 (before I was even born) However this appears to have only been between 2 research centres in California, one in Los Angeles and the other near San Francisco. So it really was 1989 before the whole world started to join up electronically.

Max000
On 3/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, HalfFull said:

I saw my first email as far back as early 1991. I was just 17 and now I'm 45. It was sent from a head office 100 miles away (I assume anyway). I wasn't the PC user but I was working in the small office where this email ended up. It was in relation to retail sales for a large retailer. I remember wondering how on earth it was possible. I was flabbergasted.

There were forms of internet before 1989 but as suggested above not available to the general public. I believe that the earliest form was as far back as 1969 (before I was even born) However this appears to have only been between 2 research centres in California, one in Los Angeles and the other near San Francisco. So it really was 1989 before the whole world started to join up electronically.

Actually the general public has had access to the internet since the 1970s, if they wanted it, including email. Forms and newsgroups came shortly after.