RiRi

Are you better at verbal communication or non-verbal?

RiRi

Are you better at non-verbal communication or are you better at verbal? Do you think generally, people on the spectrum are better at non-verbal communication or are they better at verbal? In what ways? Or do you think that it just depends on the person?

Edited by RiRi

Nesf

It depends on what you mean by non-verbal communication. I use words to communicate and am good at written communication, but I don't 'read' people and am not good at communicating feelings and at reading people's body language and emotions. I find it hard to express myself verbally. I think that most people on the spectrum struggle with that.

Joie6

Personnally, I'm better at verbal communications. I've always found hard to talk only "with hands" with people, for example when you can't talk (with your mouth) with somebody but you have to use your hands. 

Sanctuary

I certainly feel more comfortable with verbal communication but even that should be more specifically written communication. Even the voice carries with it non-verbal communication in terms of tone of voice, emotion, rhythm, etc which can affect (often unintentionally) the meanings others draw from what we say. Written communication is easier for a user to control and usually less ambiguous.However written communication also presents its difficulties for me with a tendency to be long-winded and overly-complicated and of course written words can suffer from the lack of the non-verbal elements to clarify their meaning - we will all have seen for example how irony and humour can be difficult to convey in written words leading to unfortunate misunderstandings. As Nesf stated most higher functioning people with autism are likely to have the same preference for verbal over non-verbal but have difficulties with both kinds in terms of achieving successful communication.. 

Edited by Sanctuary

HalfFull

I'm definetly better at non-verbal and it shows in my writing having co-written books etc, and love using email in the workplace. I need instructions written down. As for verbal communication, I struggle with verbal instructions, but as for being the speaker, I'm silent if lots of other people are chatting. Put me on the spot, and I'll get flustered, but when I'm in control I can appear fairly confident like in my current customer service job, but yes my verbal confidence can range from 2 to 8 out of 10 depending on situation.

RiRi
On 3/16/2019 at 3:34 AM, Nesf said:

It depends on what you mean by non-verbal communication. I use words to communicate and am good at written communication, but I don't 'read' people and am not good at communicating feelings and at reading people's body language and emotions. I find it hard to express myself verbally. I think that most people on the spectrum struggle with that.

What I meant by non-verbal communication is what comes up on a google search if you search "non-verbal communication." It is body language. So are you better at reading people by their body language or are you better at spoken communication? I see you answered for both (thank you 🙂 ). You were probably not asking me what I meant but I will leave this here in case people wonder.

Edited by RiRi

RiRi
33 minutes ago, HalfFull said:

I'm definetly better at non-verbal and it shows in my writing having co-written books etc, and love using email in the workplace. I need instructions written down. As for verbal communication, I struggle with verbal instructions, but as for being the speaker, I'm silent if lots of other people are chatting. Put me on the spot, and I'll get flustered, but when I'm in control I can appear fairly confident like in my current customer service job, but yes my verbal confidence can range from 2 to 8 out of 10 depending on situation.

I meant non-verbal communication as in body language. Are you better at reading people by their body language or better at verbal communication?

HalfFull

I understand better when its stated directly to me. With body language I'm never quite sure. If someone 'has words' with me I tend to have had an inkling that I may have bugged them, but I guess don't like to believe it, and I think I've thought that someone was unhappy with me when they weren't. I can understand some body language, but certainly don't always get it right.

RiRi
9 minutes ago, HalfFull said:

I understand better when its stated directly to me.

By this, are you referring to body language directed to you or are you referring to my post above yours right now? Just asking for clarification before I assume that you meant something else. 

Ben

I'm better at READING non-verbal because people talk so much bullshit.

Body language never lies.