Aspie.Iris

Friend Abandons Me After Finding Out About Recent ASD Diagnosis

Aspie.Iris

Hi Guys, so as you can tell from the title, my good friend from the past about one and a half years  stopped hanging out with me and started hanging out with another girl after I trusted her with my diagnosis. I think this is because of my diagnosis but I am  not really a person to trust with social skills 🙂  

anyway, what should I do?  I am in a small school where I can’t really avoid her- How should I handle this? Please help! 

Peridot

When a friendship ends it's of course painful when it's a betrayal. I've had this too a few years ago where two friendships went sour. But we need to be with the people we are supposed to be with and not the people we aren't supposed to be with. That's the way it is, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'd say leave school altogether as it's a toxic environment. 🙂 But if you continue to go, then just treat the girl in neutral way. Just move on... It isn't worth putting lots of energy into as it wouldn't be productive.

Hope you feel better soon.

Joie6

Hi @Aspie.Iris I experienced a quite similar situation, when I was a teenager. My "best friend" knew my Asperger's from the beginning of our friendship, but one day, in an argument, he said to me that he didn't invited me to a party because he could feel ashamed of me, and that my autism is really a big problem... So I can completely understand your pain. What did I do afterwards ? I just stopped talking to him. Fortunately, we weren't in the same highschool. 

I agree with @Peridot. Move on ! I know it's hard to think it when you're surrounded by people who don't accept your difference and when you're all alone but you will see, when you will grow up, you will find people who truly accept who you are, with your Asperger's. To tell you, I've really found true friends after highschool. So be brave ! Time will be your friend.

I hope you will feel better soon 😉

collectingrocks

This is something very personal and it is very sad to lose someone whom you thought was a friend and could confide and trust in

Perhaps you friend felt "scared off" and doesn't know how to communicate with you any more...or trying to process what you said?

Give it time and if nothing changes then yes, move on. That friend was merely superficial and not worthy of your friendship any more

JustGoofy
On 5/20/2019 at 4:33 PM, Aspie.Iris said:

Hi Guys, so as you can tell from the title, my good friend from the past about one and a half years  stopped hanging out with me and started hanging out with another girl after I trusted her with my diagnosis. I think this is because of my diagnosis but I am  not really a person to trust with social skills 🙂  

anyway, what should I do?  I am in a small school where I can’t really avoid her- How should I handle this? Please help! 

I have that situation as well, whenever i tell someone about my diagnosis, they just abandon me due to the fear of not understanding me. i recently made 3 friends at university and told them about it and they just simply banished and stopped being my friends. dont put much energy into it, someone will love you just the way you are.

Aspie.Iris
On 5/20/2019 at 5:59 PM, Peridot said:

When a friendship ends it's of course painful when it's a betrayal. I've had this too a few years ago where two friendships went sour. But we need to be with the people we are supposed to be with and not the people we aren't supposed to be with. That's the way it is, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'd say leave school altogether as it's a toxic environment. 🙂 But if you continue to go, then just treat the girl in neutral way. Just move on... It isn't worth putting lots of energy into as it wouldn't be productive.

Hope you feel better soon.

I’ve tried to convince my parents to homeschool me but we tried that when I was younger and it didn’t go well. 😢 

thanks for your reply

LyssApie

Honestly my opinion is that she just isn't worth it, obviously she has a major lack of education and a small mind. I've had the same problems before, people abandoning me and treating me differently all because of my asperger's, its one of the reasons I stopped telling people. Though in my experience I have found some others I have told about it who are very understanding and awesome and you will too. You'll find some awesome people worth your friendship ❤