Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Elton John Movie Censored

Dr-David-Banner

Elton John is said to be furious Russian audiences are watching a censored version of the recent movie Rocket Man. Censors removed scenes that showed Elton in gay relationships (as shown apparently in the movie). I had to ask myself how can Russian authorities imagine Russian kids will somehow alter their sexuality in later years due to Elton's status. The idea behind Putin's law is not to glorify non-heterosexual orientation in the media. Also, to teach kids everybody should be normal, and so on. Frankly, I think these days Russia is somehow exhibiting itself to ridicule by taking the worst possible path. The film simply takes into account the basic fact Elton John is, and always has been, a gay pop star. Censoring that reality is tantamount to suggesting Elton is someone he clearly is not. Add to the list David Bowie (bisexual) or Madonna (bi-curious). What's really needed today is a common sense, non-biased, scientific education program on the subject of sexuality. Having been in Russia in the past it became strikingly obvious there are hundreds of gay or lesbian people in the country. It's a fact in any society. I am amazed Russia's lawmakers are so backward thinking they can somehow educate their population to all be heterosexual. As a few Russian liberals have stated, their country is now so isolated over attitudes to sexuality, it ranks with the Middle East.

Dr-David-Banner

I had periods of frustration due to Russia's current attitude to autism, which works on the very basic concept autism is an illness. I suspect drugs are being pushed in the misguided belief we were all meant to be neurotypical. Anyone who performs badly in a group or team is assumed to be defective therefore. Although I found autism research in the former USSR to be quite organized and systematic, I find Russians today not so well informed. Emphasis is on anti depressants and medication. This suggests to me a flawed concept that views normality as the measure of all excellence - which is not at all correct. Of course attitudes in Russia vary geographically. Saint Petersburg is far more open to sexual diversity than probably Moscow. 

Dr-David-Banner

I was reading about Madonna's experience when she openly challenged  the so-called gay propaganda law during her Russia tour. Madonna has vowed never to perform in Russia again. She apparently had bodyguards and a legal team on standby. Elton John at the time commented Madonna had handled her tour badly as he tends to be less confrontational. After all of that then followed the persecution of Jehovas Witnesses in Russia which again all seems to be rooted in religion. That is, the Orthodox Slavonic Church has made a huge comeback. I consider all of this to be very negative in a country I visited extensively. Also, despite China being far from liberal I doubt the Chinese authorities would have whipped up moral or religious conflicts to discourage tourism or investment. 

Dr-David-Banner

Just one more point to add. I was reading the comments on Elton John on Russian forums. It was pointed out the law had only made "everybody" there buy the pirated version of Elton's movie. Also I was surprised to see how Russians are now being Americanised (they wouldn't have noticed this). They are using ЛОЛ after posts (laughs out loud) as well as new words such as "Трэд" for thread. They log onto ФЕЙСБУК (Facebook) and so culture has changed a lot. And personally what bothers me is modern Russian psychologists seem unaware of German or Soviet autism research but just use translated texts from America or the UK. If I quote sources like Van Krevelin they seem never to have heard of him.