fenfaerielee

fenfaerielee

fenfaerielee

Afternoon all,

I was diagnosed with asperger syndrome a couple years back (I am a 25y/o woman). However the more I read about highly sensitive people, as well as introverts (& I already know alot about introversion), the more I wonder if the psychiatrist misdiagnosed me? Is it possible do you think ?

I know you can totally get aspies who are introverts too, but is there a way to know for sure? I have also found that on quite a few occasions within asperger groups (on fb, etc), i've found it hard to get on with other aspergians. 

Thanks

fenfaerielee

Title was supposed to be 'Asperger's, introvert or highly sensitive person?', but when signing up I was told to fill in a box saying title & then email address which threw me off & I put my username instead 😅🤦‍♀️

Peridot

Well you're not giving me much to go on. Maybe you could elaborate?

When you read about introverts and highly sensitive people, what is it that you read that makes you doubt your diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome?

Alice

@fenfaerielee I completely get where you are coming from. I am also an introvert - an INFJ in the myers briggs personality typing system, and an HSP - as well as being on the Autism spectrum with ADD inattentive subtype

I follow a lot of HSP and introvert and INFJ accounts on Instagram, and many of the posts seem interchangeable with the autism ones. Others have even put this in comments - asking if there is a link with autism/aspergers, because they seem so similar. Sensory sensitivity, overwhelm, social difficulty, needing a lot of alone time to recharge from the world, issues with body feedback of hunger, tiredness, caffeine. Some things dont fit with autism though like sensitivity to art/deeper things. There is an intuitive similarity between INFJs and HSPs not shared with autism.

Mostly, with the similar aspects, I think it comes down to severity. Someone who is just an introvert, HSP, or INFJ can still function in society - they may collapse at the end of a work day, may need to learn to manage their time and energy in a way thats more effective for their needs, but they can still make it work - can find places of work suitable, can make adjustments that do actually allow them to function. These are not diagnostic categories, they are variations on normal human psychology.

With autism though - even amongst those previously called Aspergers ( 'higher functioning' is offensive to some on the spectrum so 'Aspergers' is still useful), there is a 80-90% unemployment rate, not without a lifetime of trying, for many. The impact on quality of life is much more severe - socially, in terms of routine, meltdowns, level of sensory issues etc.. I imagine/would guess if an HSP, hard introvert, INFJ were to take testing for autism they might get 'sub-clinical/below-clinical' or something like that that - not enough for diagnosis, there are cut off distinctions for symptoms being a disorder, but a certain degree of similarity and impact on ability to function.

Even when you look at aspergers - everyone stims. People tap their pen on the table while on the phone to help focus/calm, shake the hands out before a race, do that knee shake when restless, jump up and down when excited with all that extra energy etc.. But people with autism need it differently - to function in everyday life. It cant be tapered into fitting in with social expectations and inhibiting it can be detrimental. Its all human behaviour, people on the autism spectrum arent aliens.. its going to have links and crossover with normal human behaviour - otherwise where did it come from?
*even ducks stim - they shake and flap out their wings after every fight to get rid of all that excess/angry energy/vibe 🦆 🙂 

Does that help at all?