Sign in to follow this  
Luke

23andMe and Impute.me

Luke

I sent off my DNA (saliva) to 23andMe for analysis a few years ago, and I uploaded my genome to Impute.me a week ago.

If it's of any interest, here's my ID: id_6JE54R352

https://www.impute.me/AllDiseases/

It calculates your genetic risk score for things like ASD, lung cancer etc, and I thought it was interesting that my genetic risk score for autism is 99% higher than the general population. I mean, autism is genetic and it's not too surprising that my genetic risk score is high, but still kinda interesting.

I think a grain of salt needs to be taken with some of it, but I'm surprised by how much it got right.  For example, my uncle has hodgkin's lymphoma (cancer), and my genetic risk score for it is 88% higher than the general population.

Edited by Luke

Dr-David-Banner

I can comment that actual causes of high autism vary a lot. It may well be organic and connected to childhood or pre natal infection. However there is "reactive" autism where psychologically you reacted to environment. I felt maybe the cause in my case was organic (brain irregularity) but lately I came to believe it is mostly psychological and reactive. 

Trevor Glitani

Is

"is higher than 99% of the general population."

Not

"is 99% higher than the general population."

Just a small thing, but I think it's important for how to understand that. You are high, as in one out of a hundred high - but not exceptional like as in one out of a million. At least that's how I understand it. Interesting with the Hodgkin's!