HalfFull

How Do You Find 21St Century Shopping?

Toran

I don't by fresh vegetables on line or anything fresh because like you said there are certain foods you need check for yourself. We tend to do bulk shops on stuff you can store easily then go to the supermarket to get the other foods. I don't always like going in they are usually to busy for me so my girlfriend goes in while i wait in the car. I do go in sometimes depends on how im feeling and how busy it is.

It does cost you for delivery i know on a lot of things put here in Bristol at least by the time you have paid for your petrol and dear parking charges i doubt there is a great deal of difference.

Out of town parking is free but in the city can be quiet expensive there is the park and ride but then it takes longer and the buses are usually packed which isn't good for me and can be quite a challenge.

CherryCola

There are stores that I avoid going to since I know they'll ask me if I need help. If I need help, I'll ask. So I see what you mean. Sometimes you just want to look without buying.

I like the self-service machines because I like doing things myself and I don't need to be judged, which I fear they do based on what I buy, and also the small talk is a little annoying. But I did visit Sephora who recently opened up in Sweden, and the sales lady started small talking, which usually bugs me but I think she was genuinely nice, it was a nice exchange of words and then I got a free perfume sample. Since I'm poor I was very happy to receive something very nice for free. Her behavior wasn't forced and, it was just good service. Another time I got a gift card for my birthday  at a fancy department store, that I used on Marc by Marc Jacobs, I decided on a tote bag and when I payed the sales lady talked about the tote bag, that it was great and goes with any outfit, and my reply was "uhm.. ok..", it felt like she was trying to sell me something I was already buying. i thought it was funny, but I also think she was just trying to be nice and service minded, which was nice I guess.

But it was one weird incident at a pharmacy. We used to only have one pharmacy in Sweden which was owned by the government, but now its a free business so anyone can open up a pharmacy if they want. I went to one of the "new" pharmacies (becuase there arn't others where I live) to buy something private, embarrassing that I needed (I don't need to say what :-S). I was bothered and stressed and when I payed, the sales lady asked if I was a member, and I replied no. Then she replied "...and it sounds like you don't want to become a member, either". Well obviously that was not the right time to ask! I miss the old pharmacy who wasn't based on making a profit :-S

I suppose I can tell the difference of someone who's trying to sell, and someone who's trying to be nice and service minded, someone who wants to give me what I want. The telemarketers are the worst because they just talk and talk and talk and when the finally give me a offer that i want to say no to they don't care, they keep trying to give me offers. Even if I say that I don't have a job, I can't afford what you're selling they still want me to buy. I hate those. I save their numbers on my phone and name them Don't answer haha, because they do call back several times! They even got a sepcial ring tone so I now directly to not answer. :P

Nesf

In the UK there is an American store, Costco, which gives free samples ot things. I love the free samples and it's a really good idea - but the thing I don't like is when they start their obligitory sales patter - I just want the free sample, and it's obvious that I'm not going to buy it so why start the sales patter? What a waste of energy!

One day I went to a suermarket here, and the sales assistant said to me in a very formal tone, "Were you satisfied by the service at our supermarket during your visit today?" so I said "but i only came in for a carton of milk!"

luckydip

As a rule I manage with the shopping. In fact unless I have a lot of shopping I tend to prefer the use the self-service tills as I find I can take my time more with no one breathing down my neck, I nearly always forget any coupons I may have been given or often find because I live on my own find that they are of no use to me.  Usually you have to spend a certain amount before being eligible for a discount or more loyalty points.  Also to my cynical way of thinking if the shop is really interested in giving me a discount why do I have to spend a certain amount before receiving it.  They do it because they know the majority of people will spend say the £50 to get the £5.00 discount.  Without the offer chances are less people would spend £50 on any transaction. So they want to make sure that as many people as possible spend that £50.

If I do go to the till I usually have to be reminded to take my credit card out of the machine.  Also I find that I have no time to put away my card receipts etc before the cashier wants to start on the next customer.  I usually now just grab it all and then sit down on the seats in the supermarket and then put it away in my own time.

These days it seems the customer is not important.  It is just how much money the company make and the quickest way of doing it.

Colin

I know you can't leave without buying the elephant sized bottle of peanut butter.

iggy

My last bad experience of people trying to sell me things was probably a couple of months ago now, when I went into a shop to buy some new trainers (one of the few clothing items I cannot buy online). It was the type where they display "a shoe" of each type, so you have to ask for a set in your size. This man came back with the shoes, and lingered while I tried them on (very unsettling). He then reappeared with a pack of "trainer socks" which I refused, and then came back with some inner soles as well. I didn't have any of it.

At the counter, the lady asked if I would like to buy a bag for £1.49 (I assumed she meant they charged for bags, as many places now do) so I declined (who wants to spend that much on a bag. She then reached under the counter and got me a free version of said bag, made of the usual thinner plastic. It is ridiculous, I agree.

Fortunately I only have to purchase clothing most of the time, and that can usually be done online.

Nesf

As a rule I manage with the shopping. In fact unless I have a lot of shopping I tend to prefer the use the self-service tills as I find I can take my time more with no one breathing down my neck, I nearly always forget any coupons I may have been given or often find because I live on my own find that they are of no use to me.  Usually you have to spend a certain amount before being eligible for a discount or more loyalty points.  Also to my cynical way of thinking if the shop is really interested in giving me a discount why do I have to spend a certain amount before receiving it.  They do it because they know the majority of people will spend say the £50 to get the £5.00 discount.  Without the offer chances are less people would spend £50 on any transaction. So they want to make sure that as many people as possible spend that £50.

If I do go to the till I usually have to be reminded to take my credit card out of the machine.  Also I find that I have no time to put away my card receipts etc before the cashier wants to start on the next customer.  I usually now just grab it all and then sit down on the seats in the supermarket and then put it away in my own time.

These days it seems the customer is not important.  It is just how much money the company make and the quickest way of doing it.

I have this problem at the checkout too. For a start, I don't have a handbag, I carry everything in my pockets, and I feel rushed and am all fingers and thumbs, it seem to take me forever to get out and count the right amount of money (I don't use my cashcard, or very rarely) and then put things into bags, I always feel awkward. And people can be so impatient! Ugh!

My last bad experience of people trying to sell me things was probably a couple of months ago now, when I went into a shop to buy some new trainers (one of the few clothing items I cannot buy online). It was the type where they display "a shoe" of each type, so you have to ask for a set in your size. This man came back with the shoes, and lingered while I tried them on (very unsettling). He then reappeared with a pack of "trainer socks" which I refused, and then came back with some inner soles as well. I didn't have any of it.

At the counter, the lady asked if I would like to buy a bag for £1.49 (I assumed she meant they charged for bags, as many places now do) so I declined (who wants to spend that much on a bag. She then reached under the counter and got me a free version of said bag, made of the usual thinner plastic. It is ridiculous, I agree.

Fortunately I only have to purchase clothing most of the time, and that can usually be done online.

Oh yes, I understand that - I hate it when people hover over me when I'm looking at something or trying something on, and I don't like being watched, even from a distance. I suppose the sales assistant is instructed to offer you things, just as when you go to a fast food chain and they say "Do you want fries with that?" If I want something I'll ask for it, and if it's shoved in my face, I won't buy it.

StormCrow

Thank goodness for Amazon and internet shopping.

If I can't make it myself, I just go online and get it (well I have to go crazy with reserching first though)

as for 21'st century shopping, where else can you "buy" things with non existent money and have it deliverd to your house (credit cards still make my mind go crazy)

Melanie222

21st century shopping is one of the best things that could happen! Today we have a great possibility to buy things sitting at home. It allows to save time and money. Personally I order almost everything online, except vegetables, fruits, bread, everything fresh. Also I've recently started ordering meds online. Of course, there are many untrusted sites, and it took me some time to find a good one, but finally I chose Canada Pharmacy for this purpose. I should say, I haven't regretted my choice as the prices are reasonable, I get my orders in time, and this site provides visitors with the descriptions of the meds (sometimes I use it only to that end). Frankly speaking, I can't imagine my life without Internet 😀

*Links removed by moderator due to excessive advertising*

Charlie Brown

I can't handle big supermarkets and malls so there is a large percentage of my shopping done online, so I am a fan of 21t century shopping. I am close to the village green where the local small shops are and I support them with my business. Those shops I can walk into as the OP stated, and they do form a big part of my 'social interactions'.