Aspergolfer

Seventh-day Adventists on Asperclick?

Aspergolfer

Are there any Adventists here?

Peridot

That's a Christian thing, right? I'm not a Christian.

Aspergolfer

It is & becoming a Christian is easy. Read Romans 10:8-11. It explains how to become a Christian.

Peridot

Here's what I found on Google:

But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”

So basically if I choose to believe and say "Jesus is Lord" I'll be a Christian? I don't know if it works that way when it comes to believing things. 🙂

I think it's kind of annoying and offensive how a lot of atheists "disprove" God by taking the Bible at face value and then laughing at the rediculousness of it. In my country we say "schoten voor open doel" which translates to claiming to have scored a goal while there wasn't a keeper in front of it. So it's basically claiming you've achieved something while you actually haven't. Or claiming you've met a challenge while there actually wasn't one.

A real argument against the existence of God one might come up with but in my opinion one would have to solve the "riddle" of morality in order to do so. If God isn't real and all we are is "flesh and blood" then does anything matter?

A self-proclaimed philosopher on the internet says he doesn't believe in an afterlife and that basically after you're dead that's it. End of story. Nothing else to tell. You're not there anymore and that's all there is to say. This philosopher is immoral where he lies and deceives and guilt trips people into giving him money. The guy has millions of dollars now which he has gotten partly through unethical means. And he is "Godless". So to Hell with morality he seems to think. Nothing matters according to him, so it seems.

I don't think that's good philosophy. It's just depravity.

He recently half-jokingly spoke of how a singer called Billie Eilish freaked him out as she seemed to be proof of the existence of Satan. Maybe he was especially sensitive to this as he realizes he has "gone down the path of immorality" and that if Satan is real he's sure to get this philosopher's soul?

Edited by Peridot

Aspergolfer

Faith is as easy as putting your trust in Christ. He did all the hard work on the cross for us and because of us. Living as a believer isn't always easy, bu that is what faith is for, trusting God to help us when life gets rough. Life isn't meant to be lived alone, God wants to live it with you and help you along the way.

Aspergolfer

Saying Jesus is Lord is the result of faith. Ephesians 2:8,9 say this: For by grace are ye saved though faith, and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast.

Faith brings about salvation, which itself leads to good works.

Ben

As a Christian on planet earth, my only interest is to unify the human race. Debating about who is right and who is wrong isn't going to bring us any closer to world peace. 

Spiritually, my faith goes a lot deeper - I don't do denominations, I find all of that sort of thing pedantic and complicates an already difficult journey. The bible is full of grey area that requires constant study to comprehend - even some reverends and pastors I know still struggle with it in places. It's not uncommon. 

Aspergolfer

Understanding the Scriptures requires the help and guidance of the Holy Spirit. He guides us into all truth.

Peridot
7 hours ago, Aspergolfer said:

Faith is as easy as putting your trust in Christ. He did all the hard work on the cross for us and because of us. Living as a believer isn't always easy, bu that is what faith is for, trusting God to help us when life gets rough. Life isn't meant to be lived alone, God wants to live it with you and help you along the way.

So saying the Lord is Jesus is easy because faith is easy? I don't think that's true. Words have meaning and faith is a Hell of a thing. You can't really think about how e.g. in the south of France a terrorist attack recently occurred during which a young woman got run over by a truck and is now crippled for life as a result and then say that faith is easy now can you?

How is God defined? The way Christians speak of "him" they seem to describe a conscious being who wants to help you and loves you and wants to be with you which is an apparent contradiction, in that if this was true you'd think you wouldn't see all the things you see until this day like e.g. frequent acid attacks in the UK which leave women severely disfigured for life.

If God loves the women of the UK why doesn't he tell them which parts of town to avoid if they don't want acid thrown in their faces or to get knifed to death or to be groomed by gangs who want to use them as sex slaves?

If God created man why did he also create people who are clearly evil?

How much faith would you still have if one of your loved ones e.g. were to be repeatedly raped and subsequently almost drowned which is something that happened a few years back in my country where an African migrant attacked a seventeen year old woman.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm an atheist or that one is foolish to have certain beliefs. I'm just trying to convey why I think faith isn't easy whilst also asking some questions.

Edited by Peridot

Aspergolfer

While God created Lucifer as a covering cherub, Lucifer himself is the source of evil as he became proud and arrogant due to his position. He hates mankind and introduced sin into the world in a futile attempt to permanently disrupt our relationship with God. The Father remedied the situation through the plan of redemption by His advent as Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. I am intimately familiar with evil as well, but through Christ, evil is overcome by good.