ancus

Does anyone have an interest in poetry?  I picked up an interest while I was studying Latin in college (if you're studying Latin, you WILL take a class in Latin poetry, in Virgil if no one else).  Adapting classical meters to English seemed like a fun excercise.  I took a few classes writing poetry in English, and learned a few English verse-forms, although free verse seems to be the norm. 

Though I read some examples that definitely impressed me, I never got into the habit of reading poems in English and I wonder how I could get started.  I never subscribed to any poetry journals and though I tried submitting a few of my poems I haven't written more than a handful of verses after graduating.  (My Latin language skills are stagnating as well unfortunately). 

Alice

@ancus Good question. I do, but I tend to enjoy more modern poetry. There are a few classic pieces I love but what I tend to get and read are things like

Nikita Gill - Wild Embers, Poems of rebellion, fire and beauty (this is my favourite. I also enjoyed Amamnda lovelace - The Witch doesnt burn in this one)
And narrative stories told through poems like White Rose - Kip Wilson (again my favourite of this kind but also The Poet X - Elizabath Acevedo is good too)

I find it takes a lot of work to connect with the older stuff - you really have to sit with it or know a lot of context relevant to the time and really look at it in depth to really get all of it - which can be really rewarding, but sometimes just not worth the time investment for me - maybe its my ADD brain but its what I prefer

I also did some writing and english classes at university and have tried my hand at it and wrote a few pieces I liked quite a bit, but I dont really do it any more.

ancus

My favorites all seem to have a formal structure.  It's one of the things I like about poetry, actually. 

Virgil has some really clever uses of language, though it helps to know Latin ;).  My favorite is when Mercury leaves Aeneas, Virgil says, "se immixit in noctem"  (He mixed himself into the night").  That might not be exactly how it goes, actually...I'm trying to find the spot where he says it.  But maybe I'll just read the whole thing over.  Virgil is actually a difficult author.  Catullus is easier, and I enjoy him too.