Sign in to follow this  
EccentricChemist

More or less autistic at differnt times

EccentricChemist

I'm still undergoing formal evaluation, but I'll still use the term autistic even though I don't have a formal diagnosis yet.  Sometimes when interacting with people especially if I feel comfortable around them I can carry on a conversation for a while, other times I get tired after a few minutes and sometimes stare at an object or somthiing and drop out of the conversation. In other words I can feel mostly "normal" at times talking to someone, and at other times someone might ask me something and all I can do is utter maybe a one syllable word, or nothiing at all, it's like I'm more autistic sometimes, and more neurotypical other times. Does this happen with anyone else, is it normal behavior for autisics? 

Peridot

I think it's normal for autistics but I guess plenty of neurotypical people can also relate to that. Social anxiety is pretty common but yeah, I can definately relate as someone who's basically been told he's autistic by two medical proffessionals. Things like that happen a lot less nowadays as I've improved my social skills over the years. I'm very relaxed now in general speaking to people. Partly though this is due to simply not talking to people who are on a different wavelength than me. 😆

Ace

This used to happen with me more. Like @Peridot said, I think I'm just better at the social skills than I used to be. I noticed that if it was something that I knew a lot about or could offer insight, I could go on for a while, almost in to much detail. This also happened more around people I was comfortable with. If someone caught me off guard I would probably revert to that short response, but if I happen to see that person walking up to me in the hall at school for say, I would expect they were going to strike up a conversation and not be as clammed up. 

Over the years I almost pretend that any random person that starts talking to me was someone I know well, even if its the random cashier making conversation. That's kinda weird to say but it seems to work decently. Of coarse I only do this if they start it first so I still avoid what I can. oddly enough I've noticed a lot of younger people (or at least ones similar in age to me) act like that is normal to act like friends to strangers. 

Dr-David-Banner

I learned that early speech is very indicative but here I find lots of psychologists get mixed up. You have two possibilities which are either premature speech or delay in speech. Those who delay are more "autistic" and tend to have stronger symptoms such as motor impairment. This, anyway, is what USSR psychiatrists concluded in the eighties. However premature speech also is a sign of autism spectrum. Confusing isn't it? Kanner's Childhood Autism diagnosis is very direct to autism per se which would include stimming, clumsiness, often poor maths and mechanical ability with low emotional responsiveness and so forth. Some people on.the spectrum (those with early speech) have lesser autistic symptoms. It's hard to diagnose but childhood history helps a lot.

Dr-David-Banner

It took me years to conclude I have actual autism as opposed to what was classified as Asperger Syndrome (no speech delay). Even, then I never stop exploring the finer points and I still don't know the cause. Can be foetal infection, reactive to trauma, genetic even purely psychological. Or a combination of many. I never share these issues with family so for me it is very hushed up.

HalfFull

I guess there's a very strong correlation between my energy and relaxation levels and how Autistic/not so Autistic I seem coupled to some extent with my environment. If all the cards are aligned in my favour I probably seem relatively normal, but if you start to remove a few of them from the deck, I might start to 'wobble' a bit like the cards. If I was placed under severe stress and was totally exhausted then the mask would slip. I think I always seem a bit different to most people but only sometimes enough to appear Autistic. I do falter with eye contact quite often though and that's probably the most outward clue.

LyssApie

In my experience with asperger's, I find that my speach is fine. I can talk to customers at work and I have an out going personality. My only speach problem is that I often sound sarcastic and snarky without meaning to, this can be a problem when talking to customer.

Peridot
10 hours ago, LyssApie said:

In my experience with asperger's, I find that my speach is fine. I can talk to customers at work and I have an out going personality. My only speach problem is that I often sound sarcastic and snarky without meaning to, this can be a problem when talking to customer.

There's this thing some refer to as a "bitchy resting face" where people's natural facial expression can easily be interpreted as mean. When I walk through the supermarket I sometimes wonder if I come across as a grumpy guy as I often have a somewhat expressionless face. 🙂

Edited by Peridot