Ace

Music is the language of emotion

Ace

So a short story to get this started: back maybe a year ago I was applying for jobs to sustain myself in college. While applying, there were a couple of the applications that asked how many languages I was fluent in. Of coarse I reluctantly said 1 because I have almost entirely forgot Spanish from high school. But it got me thinking, if I don't limit to spoken language (the type with words and pronounsiations and grammar rules etc) I guess I could say I knew 3ish languages. 

And what I mean by that is, 1 I know English (one of the languages of meaning?), 2 I know math pretty well (the language of quantitative value and calculation), 3 I know music (both read/write music but also listening to it) (the language of emotion), and I say 3ish because I've picked up a little bit of coding languages over the years but by no means have I become good at any one coding language.

My thoughts about the music as the language of emotion can be fairly simply explained. If you take any song with or without lyrics and show it to anyone in the world, weather they understand the language the lyrics are in or not, they will feel the emotion that the music portrays. Now of course actually listening to the lyrics and knowing what they say can add a whole new layer or more depth of emotion but generally the music's emotion and the lyrics emotion line up. Also another layer/depth of emotion is added when it has an accompaning video or album cover. So my conclusion is that music has an associated emotion that people generally feel the same for each song (ie most people will know when they are listening to sad music). Now that doesn't work when the person is annoyed by the genre or whatever but that's a personal preference thing. Just as I might be annoyed at different types of math or that I like the way Japanese sounds even though I can't understand it. 

What are your thoughts on this? This is an idea I came up with on my own and I'm open to constructive criticism. So have at it

Peridot

Yeah, you could look at music as a language. Someone once said it's the "sound of the soul" which I thought was interesting.

In art you've got form due to content. When I write music I guess an aim is to write something which evokes a similar set of emotions in the listener as those I focus on during the writing. What the listener associates that music and that emotional impact with in their minds may be different than what the original inspiration for the music was though.

There's a piece called "Sextet" by Steve Reich which makes me think of sleep. Of how you kind of refuel during sleep. But what Reich was thinking about when he wrote it was probably something else.

Ace

Wow I've never seen the a bow used on the marumba? Vibes? Can't remember what they are called. Very interesting